3.73 rear end

Jsmiley

Founding Member
Jun 23, 2002
Vancouver WA, USA
I have been searching all over Vancouver, WA from shop to shop and everywhere I go they want ridiculous amounts of money to do the 3.73 rear end swap....I haven't had luck finding anything under 1000 dollars...this just seems outrageous...and all the stores say they won't perform the swap without installing new bearings...as long as my current bearings are in good shape do I really need new bearings I mean the parts will be the same size just the gears will have a higher ratio of teeth so to me the bearings seem pointless....am I wrong? Can anyone help me find a decent price on install?

• Sponsors (?)

It is a good idea to replace all bearings, races and seals while its apart. If you have to do it down the road the cost will be almost the same as a gear install. Also if a bearing were to go out and send filings through your new gearset...you will be even farther in the hole. Give me a call. I can help you out.

Jeff
503-649-5471

Call Jeff at All Ford. He does good work at a fair price, and he won't try to sell ya parts UNLESS YOU NEED THEM.
:nice:
(and I dont think he gets anywhere near a grand for a simple gear swap)
...now may-be if ya want the posi re-packed, and the bearings changed, etc then.....

Give him a call, ya wont be sorry.

Dave-
:flag:

$270 labor+tax including pinion and carrier bearing install but not the wheel bearings, Yakima/Pasco region. The bearing kit was from Randy's but I'm not sure now if that was wise.
Try looking in the Yellow Pages under terms like Transmission or Towing or 4x4. I must have called a dozen shops, some I went to the shop and "interviewed". One shop gave me a price over the phone of $250 and then when I visited them, the price kept ratcheting up and it was clear he was jerking me around.
Another shop said, I quote, "NO one gets out under $600".
I'm amazed at the crap they try to get away with.
Don't pay for the speedo gear swap, you should be able to do that yourself.
If they ask whether it has the big or small carrier, run the other way. Quickly.
Finally don't be afraid to ask lots of questions; since you are the one with the money you are in charge.
Best of luck, 373s Rox! :spot: