3.73s and 4.11s

• Sponsors (?)

DeadLurker said:
I think your off by 5mph. If were talking about the tranny in the 99-01(mid year) mustangs then yes that is correct 70mph, but with the 01.5-up models the t3650 is at 75mph at 2,000rpms. ;)

This is EXACTLY correct!

I'm turning 2k RPM at 76 mph.

I wonder what MPH I'd be turning at 2k with 3.73s?????

Matt

(the calc seems to say I'd be at 69.6 mph with 3.27s, so how far would it be off for 3.73s??)

03trubluGT said:
This is EXACTLY correct!

I'm turning 2k RPM at 76 mph.

I wonder what MPH I'd be turning at 2k with 3.73s?????

Matt

(the calc seems to say I'd be at 69.6 mph with 3.27s, so how far would it be off for 3.73s??)

3.73 gears 02 GT, 65mph = 2,000rpms....that's what i have now.

4.11's will be too much gear for the GT. A buddy of mine with a '98 Cobra 4.11's was beating me by 6 car lengths in my GT with 3.27's(Stock). After 3.73's I would edge him everytime as he spun the wheels off the line. I also noticed crap loads of power in 3rd and 4th gear on the freeway. 4.11's will only help you on the track with new tires or drag radials and its just not worth it.

danrat said:
4.11's will be too much gear for the GT. A buddy of mine with a '98 Cobra 4.11's was beating me by 6 car lengths in my GT with 3.27's(Stock). After 3.73's I would edge him everytime as he spun the wheels off the line. I also noticed crap loads of power in 3rd and 4th gear on the freeway. 4.11's will only help you on the track with new tires or drag radials and its just not worth it.
wow way to bring up the dead, street tires and 4.10s are a good combo.

3.55's baby !!!

I will always fear the gear..........

Hate high RPM'S on the freeway.

Don't want to shift into OD at the track either.

So my best bet is KB and 3.55 gears.

Thats my plan

[QUOTE='02~'vert~GT]What kind of gains can I expect to make on the 1/4 from putting in 3.73s or 4.11s? :nice:[/QUOTE]
Well, put it like this, with equal drivers in a equally modded auto who do u think would win? I put my money on the 4:10's cause they ll get u in the pwrbnd faster, basically like building boost in supchgr/turbo, the faster u build it the faster u move out. Id also add that a reuction of about .2 more if u go with 4:10's in the 1/4. Like many agree n/a=4:10-4:30, boost=3:55-3:90.

When your on the street its a pain the ass to get off the line without smoking the tires. If all your doing is track drags with drag radials I agree, but everyone likes to get on it in the street. My buddy has a Mach 1 with 4.30's and a built rear end. On the track with DR's he runs 12.7's on the street he nearly losses to a stock vet that pulls 13.4's at the track.

I'm running 4:10s in my '00 5 speed with a Kenne Bell 6psi non-cooled blower (decided to pop for the polished lung...and not get the huge hp because of the 4:10s). Running a 275/40/17 on a 9.5" AR TT II wheel on the rear.

She's getting 340 at the wheels...and with the 4:10s in the a$$...the car is more fun than I ever imagined.

It's a street car (and creeping up on a show car actually)...so I'm not sure how she'd do in the 1/4...but she's totally driveable.

To say the car ripps is an understatement...yes you can shred the tires in many gears, but if you adapt your driving habits...there's plenty of grip.

When I put the 4:10s in on the stock motor...I found I was spinning the tires more...but I still had the "pedal to the firewall" mentality from driving her with the 3:27s.

I find with the addition of the lung that I'm actually spinning the tires less...I don't need to "mash" it to get her going...I can just "squeeze" the pedal..and the lung's extra power just about pulls you pants off...and the tires are gripping fine.

A buddy of mine is running a KB 9psi intercooled set up on his '99 GT (400 rwhp)...with a T56 6-speed and 3:73's...and he's running 315 meats on the rear...he's already talking about putting in 3:90's...for what it's worth.

Bottom line... for a street car, go with the 4:10s...whether there's a blower in you future...or you're staying NA.

danrat said:
When your on the street its a pain the ass to get off the line without smoking the tires. If all your doing is track drags with drag radials I agree, but everyone likes to get on it in the street. My buddy has a Mach 1 with 4.30's and a built rear end. On the track with DR's he runs 12.7's on the street he nearly losses to a stock vet that pulls 13.4's at the track.

Your buddy needs to learn how to drive then. With a steeper gear yes it's easy to smoke the tires but to say that you will lose because of tire spin is retarded because the driver causes the spin not the gear. With 4.30s' in my car I could dead hook on the street no problem from first gear. It's all about knowing the limits of your tires and controling spin through clutch and the throttle.

Bill

2000BLKGT said:
Bottom line... for a street car, go with the 4:10s...whether there's a blower in you future...or you're staying NA.

i like the way you think, but you can say for a drag car too at least 4.10s.

danrat said:

your examples do little to sway my view since i KNOW 4.10s and street tires hook fine as long as you know how to drive

Mustang92 said:
Your buddy needs to learn how to drive then. With a steeper gear yes it's easy to smoke the tires but to say that you will lose because of tire spin is retarded because the driver causes the spin not the gear. With 4.30s' in my car I could dead hook on the street no problem from first gear. It's all about knowing the limits of your tires and controling spin through clutch and the throttle.

Bill

3.73's are the best bet in a GT if you want to remain fast through the tires life.

You must have deep pockets. My friends have the gear and they drive great. However, keeping your tires is the plan here. If your tires are getting slick after a few miles I will beat you every time with your 4.10's. I will take 3.73's with partially worn tires and beat the exact same car with 4.10's with the same situation time after time. Its a fact here. With new tires you're on top of the world, but the truth is the day your ties suck you better run down and buy a new pair cause you will sit at the line and either granny it or hit the gas like a freak and loose it. So it really depends on your budget, but if you get caught at the wrong stage in your tires life you're going to get your ass handed to you by a lesser vehicle.

My old GT with 3.73's got my buddies Mach 1 with 4.30's when he first got the gears and his tires were fair. He got tires and I got beat that following week. He had more HP and gear but couldn’t get off the line. This guy pulls mid 12's in his Mach now and his reaction times are close to perfect.

Experience tells the story.

Jackie Chan said:
i like the way you think, but you can say for a drag car too at least 4.10s.

your examples do little to sway my view since i KNOW 4.10s and street tires hook fine as long as you know how to drive

That’s cause you lack the experience that I have had with this exact matter. It's been the case every time someone I know has 4.10's. I will race you on the street when I know your tires are getting low and bet the farm you will squirrel your way off the line. :shrug: Knowing how to drive is just as bad because when you don’t have traction all you can do is granny it off the line and feather the clutch as I take a 3-4 car lead on you. With 3.73's I can dump the clutch on you with fair tires and still hang on.

So how are 4.10's for a DAILY DRIVER? Im kinda worried about what this guy is saying about wheel spin.... I never take my car to the track, don't even know where the track is.... so I'm basically driving on highways and in stop & go traffic.... I don't want to be spinning the tires at every stop light just trying to get going normally. I want the SOTP feel of 4.10's but I don't want to turn the car into some uncomfortable drag racing machine either, im big on comfort.