3.73's are in, one problem

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
Daytona Bch, FL
Today me and my dad put some 3.73 gears in my car, jumped up from 2.73's. Everything went well for the whole install, put in some new clutch packs and put it all back together. Now heres my problem.... TRACTION :lol: When I took it out for a little test drive, I took off normal and i was probably going about 20mph (speedo isnt corrected yet) and gave it about 3/4 throttle and broke my nittos loose like they were nothing :D I cant wait to take it out to the track and see how it does.

• Sponsors (?)

The Hitman said:
I love my 4.10's. When the DR's are cold it's nothing to spin them like they don't exist. :D
aint that the truth. I took it out for another test run and the tires were warmed up a little. Reved to 3500rpm, slipped the clutch out pretty fast and the car took off with very little wheel spin. The gears and instillation time was well worth it.

:D :D Just got done with my 3.73 install about 4 hours ago.... man you are right, NO TRACTION at all. Love it. I know that the cold weather had alot to do with the traction. Heated them up then launched. There was a difference with warm tires but I am running 255's and they can't hold.... Sounds like a good excuse to get some 17x10's and mount some 315's

Wow...it's not too often you see somebody with H/C/I THEN do gears. Usually the gears come first.

No wonder you noticed a huge improvement! It would of been huge before, but with all that power...it's amazing.

I only got on it once... the first time was an accident and wasnt expecting it :lol: You just cant put something on the car and not expect to try it out first thing... its just not going to happen. They had a good 30 miles on them before I tried them out.

cmozez said:
You guys do know about the break in cycle on the gears, right?
No such thing. Metal heats and expands, cools and contracts, so that theory wouldn't be relevant. That theory about "breaking in" the gears only apply when a new posi traction is used or when new clutches are put in the stock unit. The friction modifier has to get cycled through the new clutches. I did the same thing as Jake - backed the car off the lift, made sure the clutch engaged in 1st gear, then stood on it until I HAD to shift into 5th at 5500 in 4th gear. The only mechanic who tells you that the gears have to be "heat treated" are the ones who are unsure of their work and don't want the pinion getting launched through the differential cover because they didn't set it up properly. It gives them a longer time to think of an excuse before you come back to them and complain that your pinion was launched through the differential cover.

Joe