3.73's or 4.10's

• Sponsors (?)

Well it's a daily driver with occasional trips down the interstate so I guess I'm leaning towards the 3.73's. The car pulls real nice with my stocker 2.73's so I'm expecting a better pull with the gear swap. With my stock gears I do 2000 at 80 mph. Like a few of you mentioned the 2.95 1st gear tranny has a lower 5th gear ratio so I guess it'll make up for the 3.73's some like some of you mentioned.

Fairly minor difference - .675 5th in the 3.35 first tranny; .625 5th in the 2.95 first tranny. But every little bit helps. I've got the 2.95 1st/.625 5th tranny w/3.73's. However, my tires are a bit shorter than the Stang's so it's like 3.90's in a Stang. Turns over about 2400 rpm at 70mph. Highway mileage remains good however - 24-26 at 65-70 mph.

Michael Yount said:
Fairly minor difference - .675 5th in the 3.35 first tranny; .625 5th in the 2.95 first tranny. But every little bit helps. I've got the 2.95 1st/.625 5th tranny w/3.73's. However, my tires are a bit shorter than the Stang's so it's like 3.90's in a Stang. Turns over about 2400 rpm at 70mph. Highway mileage remains good however - 24-26 at 65-70 mph.

Well I guess its not that much of a diff but yeah, every bit counts. Im really not too worried about mileage because most of my driving is city...I would say 95% of the time battling traffic.

The truth is that done correctly, there's a certain expertise and a number of special tools that are required to set a rear end up. There are a lot of people out there that 'guess' at it, and some get lucky. Others aren't so lucky - from them you'll hear things like "It was a breeze; they whine a little, but it's not bad...." If you've never done it before I would suggest you try it only if you've got a buddy to help you that has the know how and the tools to do it correctly. If that's not available, I'd pay someone that knows what they're doing to do it.

Funny thing.....I was doing a 5-lug conversion today, and look in there, and behold my gears are stamped with FRPP 3.73. LOL. I bought this car in April, and when I bought it I thought it was peppy because of the 5 speed (my first). Then I saw the Door code was 'Z', which means 3.08.....so I was like "Ahhh...thats why." Now I guess they are 3.73's. No wonder 1st only goes to 15 mph.....lol