3.73's vs 4.10's

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangkid05

Mar 10, 2006
so i am in the process of looking to buy gears.....but i hear that 4.10's burn more gas?....and that ppl with 3.73 want 4.10's lol........and what do they do for you performance wise?....and would i have to get a tune?

thanks romaine......oh and whats the total price i am looking at with labor

• Sponsors (?)

I'll be the :edit: second one to say do a search...before the angry heathens come and flame you.

yes, they do(does it matter that much anymore? everyone with a v-8 is already bending over by the prices)

yes, most with 3.73 want 4.10's as sotp is more apperent

get the engine in it's powerband quicker...

just for gears(as in minimum seal replacements) about $500-700 depending on shop and band of gears

41863.gif

I have 3.73, don't want 4.10's because of gas prices. I get 240 miles to a tank as opposed to 280 but I drive her hard.

I paid $390 not including the price of gears at a local Ford dealership.

I Love gear threads.
Ok 3.73's IMO not worth it on a 2v. Unless highspeed playing is your game or Forced induction is in your future.
4.10's in a 2v great all around gear, I get 20mpg average, with city hwy, and drag racing in there, I knock down 24mpg on the hwy. But they limit highspeed playing. from 70mph roll 3rd is too low 4th not in the powerband. 2v's 4.10's and spray go together like a hot girl in a bikini.
4.30's N/a are the Oh yeah I'm going to roll gear, however IMO too steep for a daily driver. Also IMO unless you go with a taller tire they are too much for the 1/4 with a poweradder or excessive rpm's.
now for the 4v guys
3.73's ? huh wtf I know some that have done this makes no sense to me, although it seems to work well for the corners.
4.10's average mpg about the same but doesn't have the highspeed drawbacks the 2v's suffer from. IMO best all around gear.
4.30's great N/A gear and good on spray, but unless you have a good od ratio highspeeds will drink the gas. ( example a group of us made a 100mile trip to go race, my buddy with a mach1 and 4.30's used over twice as much just getting there than I did due to our elevated speeds)
4.56's N/A is the OH yeah gear IMO though a little too steep for daily driving.

all this 4.10's best for dd is insane. stock gears are best for daily driving, esp for a "kid". if u dont want to shift all the way to 5th gear everytime u go on any road above 45-50mph, than stay stock like me :D my car is too loud to be cruisin around at 2500+ rpm as it is, and shifting to 5th gear is like reaching to open the glove box, plus 5th gear has no pick up. (i know 4.10's would solve that prob, but u get my point) thats just a dd argument, not speed or 1/4 mile time related in any way, get ur stang looking sweet first, not an offroad rally car, the looks of our cars has soooo much potential over stock :hail2:

4:10's will have worse gas mileage. Higher cruising rpm on the interstate.

If you do a lot of interstate or highway driving, I wouldn't do it personally on a actual daily driver.

The main reason in my opinion that many with these 4.6L's want the 4:10's is because it gives them a more SOTP feeling from 3:27's, than 3:73's. People are going by sotp instead of practicality.

Like in the 5.0L's...many go with 3:73's instead of 4:10's (even in 6,000rpm h/c/i cars)...because from the normal 2:73's...it is a bigger sotp feeling than 3:27's for them, for example.

3:73's for a daily driven car...

Your car will thank you:)

If you have nitrous, don't get 4:10's...traction and running into 5th gear become problems later.

Better to have less and want more, than have more and want less.

5spd GT said:
4:10's will have worse gas mileage. Higher cruising rpm on the interstate.

If you do a lot of interstate or highway driving, I wouldn't do it personally on a actual daily driver.

The main reason in my opinion that many with these 4.6L's want the 4:10's is because it gives them a more SOTP feeling from 3:27's, than 3:73's. People are going by sotp instead of practicality.

Like in the 5.0L's...many go with 3:73's instead of 4:10's (even in 6,000rpm h/c/i cars)...because from the normal 2:73's...it is a bigger sotp feeling than 3:27's for them, for example.

3:73's for a daily driven car...

Your car will thank you:)

If you have nitrous, don't get 4:10's...traction and running into 5th gear become problems later.

Better to have less and want more, than have more and want less.

TROOF! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.