3.73's vs 4.10's

Status
Not open for further replies.
5spd GT said:
4:10's will have worse gas mileage. Higher cruising rpm on the interstate.

If you do a lot of interstate or highway driving, I wouldn't do it personally on a actual daily driver.

The main reason in my opinion that many with these 4.6L's want the 4:10's is because it gives them a more SOTP feeling from 3:27's, than 3:73's. People are going by sotp instead of practicality.

Like in the 5.0L's...many go with 3:73's instead of 4:10's (even in 6,000rpm h/c/i cars)...because from the normal 2:73's...it is a bigger sotp feeling than 3:27's for them, for example.

3:73's for a daily driven car...

Your car will thank you:)

If you have nitrous, don't get 4:10's...traction and running into 5th gear become problems later.

Better to have less and want more, than have more and want less.
PREACH! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Go with the 410's.....I already had 373's in the car and 410' are alot better......with a good tune your highway gas miliage will still be good....my car puts down 260 rwhp sae and with 410's and a great dyno tune I get 25 mph on the freeways and anywhere from 18 to 24 mpg in the city depending on how hard I romp on it! I also have bigger injectors and a bosh 190 lph fuel pump...Its all in the tune and make sure your O2's are working properly......

"ED"

Figure out where you are wanting to go with your car first. My KB doesn't like 4.10's, 3.73's are optimal according to KB. Where you want to be should determine what you do now. I personally wouldn't go higher than 3.73's even N/A.

I put 3.73's in my car and I love them. Keeps me in my power band on the streets and I'm not too high of RPM's on the interstate. 1st gear is really short and I'd hate to see what 4.10's are like in 1st. I'm very happy with them and if I get what I want to do down the road I'm already set up with the correct gears.

:bang: This is just great, just as I get my 4.10's delivered and scheduled to be installed this Sunday, I see a thread like this. Now you all have me questioning my decision to go with 4.10's. Oh well, I'm not going to change now.

elite130 said:
:bang: This is just great, just as I get my 4.10's delivered and scheduled to be installed this Sunday, I see a thread like this. Now you all have me questioning my decision to go with 4.10's. Oh well, I'm not going to change now.

You'll be happy with them. The only people that don't like 4.10's are the 3.73 people.

I was in the same boat about 7 months ago. I couldnt decide between 3.55's, 3.73's or 4.10's. Then a friend from work got 4.10's in his 02 GT, All it took was for me to take his car on a 30 min. drive....... I was sold on 4.10's!

No regrets here....:nice:

elite130 said:
You wont regret the 4.10s. I dont know what we did to make the SN Gods angry, but this "Dont get 4.10s bc of gas mileage and blah blah blah blah-F'king blah" is getting out of hand :mad:

Listen, 4.10s ARE NOT TOO MUCH GEAR FOR A DD AT ALL! Hell I even contemplated 4.30s a few months ago.

To the original poster, do you do a majority of highway or city driving? Heres why I ask: If you drive on the highway a lot, yes, 4.10s will turn more rpms at the same speed than 3.73s. If you're worried about gas mileage, then get the 3.73s. While you're at it, take the time and ask yourself "why did I bother getting a V8 if Im worried about 1-2 mpg?" I will never understand the gas mileage arguement among V8 owners :shrug:

But since we're being bitches and whining about it, I'll tell you that IF you do a lot of town/city driving, >45mph, you CAN get better MPG with 4.10s than 3.73s. How? Easy, the 4.10s allow you to use the next gear (3rd or 4th, even 5th if you're doing about 50mph) without bogging down like they would with 3.73s. So instead of turning 2500 in 3rd with 3.73s, you can turn 2200-ish in 4th with 4.10s at the same speed.(note those #'s were pulled straight out of my ass as I dont have 2 cars to go test this with, but its the principle behind it Im trying to point out to you.)

I drive about 50 miles highway everday to and from work with 4.10s, and I do 70-80mph. Is my MPG down compared to stock? Of course. Worse than 3.73s? Barely. Is it enough to make me think the "gas money" Id save with 3.73s as opposed to 4.10s would give me all this money to buy other mods? Hell no! People dont realize that even if theres a 2-3mpg difference, its not going to make a significant difference in your wallet at the pump. You're talking maybe $2-$3 each fill-up, tops; and thats stretching it. Hell I spend that much at the vending machine at work in 2 days.

And to top it off, I got 25.75 mpg, ALL HIGHWAY, driving from Little Rock to Dallas, and still had about a gallon left in the tank; all with my gas guzzling 4.10s.

Here: http://forums.stangnet.com/showpost.php?p=6070312&postcount=20

That all said, 3.73s are a good gear too, it just depends what your ultimate plans for the car are. If you're staying N/A, I recommend 4.10s. Just dont base your decision on Gas Mileage:bang:

:Word:

I was in the same boat a few months ago - 3.73s or 4.10s. I thought that 4.10s would be too much, but I'm glad I listened to eveyone on this site. On the highway @ 70mph I am at about 2400rpm. Sounds great & runs great at this rpm! Turns a lot of heads, too. In fact, like Helty said, I would be saving gas below 50mph cuz I can now use 5th gear at around 40mph (if I could keep from jumping on it - too much fun)!

It's all about what your future plans are. I'm staying N/A, so I went with the 4.10s. No regrets here!

Oh no, look what I've started, another 3.73 vs 4.10 argument.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either IMHO. I chose 4.10's because: 1) I am staying N/A, 2) I wanted the little extra kick that 4.10's give me due to the elevation that I'm at, 3) I hardly ever drive on the highway where the speed limit is over 65mph, and 4) I drive the car on the weekends only and at the strip. If I was in a different situation, I may have chosen 3.73's or might have even stayed with stock 3.27's. You really need to determine what your current and long term goals are and make your decision based upon that.

California does not apply to any of this because of our unofficial 90mph speed limits on freeways and large distances. Everyone I know that put in 4:10s on a 2v around here hates it because the rpm are too high. Hell, sometimes I wish I had 3:55's. It not about gas mileage it where the rpm's sit while cruising at 80+ that turn away most from 4:10's.

squares98 said:
California does not apply to any of this because of our unofficial 90mph speed limits on freeways and large distances. Everyone I know that put in 4:10s on a 2v around here hates it because the rpm are too high. Hell, sometimes I wish I had 3:55's. It not about gas mileage it where the rpm's sit while cruising at 80+ that turn away most from 4:10's.

Here in Houston, your doing 90mph just to get on the freeway.....
Till downtown, then your lucky to go over 35mph....:nonono:

elite130 said:
Oh no, look what I've started, another 3.73 vs 4.10 argument.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either IMHO. I chose 4.10's because: 1) I am staying N/A, 2) I wanted the little extra kick that 4.10's give me due to the elevation that I'm at, 3) I hardly ever drive on the highway where the speed limit is over 65mph, and 4) I drive the car on the weekends only and at the strip. If I was in a different situation, I may have chosen 3.73's or might have even stayed with stock 3.27's. You really need to determine what your current and long term goals are and make your decision based upon that.

I drive my car to work daily on a 50 mile round-trip, mostly on freeways at an average speed of 80 mph. No problems or significant drop in my gas mileage whatsoever since installing 4.10's. I've also taken a 2500 mile road trip, again with no significant drop in gas mileage. Even if there had been a drop in mileage, it would be worth every penny in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.