3.8 swap

i have a 99 w 3.8 that has 180.000 miles and has just bit the dust.(RIP)
so my question is will a 3.8 for a front wheel drive work in a rear wheel drive mustang.I have a chance to buy a crate motor for 400.00 and im not up on these cars .any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

The Mustang 3.8 is the same core engine that's in the Taurus/Sable and Windstar, but I'm sure there are plenty of accessory differences due to the transverse mounting and the fact that it's bolted to a transaxle instead of a transmission. I'm not sure if the block itself is the same, but I would do plenty of research to make sure all the mounting lugs and holes are the same.

yeah i as hoping that the blocks would be universal .one tech that i talked to said something about the fwd motor having diferent head gaskets to either block off or open( i cant remember) the flow of water since the motor is mountedsideways insted of front to back.

mabey ill just keep looking for a junk yard motor. wich other cars came with the same motor?

I would stick to finding a replacement 3.8/3.9 from another '99-'04 Mustang. Even if you change the oiling system, belt drive, and flexplate on a FWD motor to make it work, it's doubtful the FWD engine would have the same specs as the 190/193hp Mustang engine. The only FWD 3.8's I've ever seen in junkyards were single port engines.

Might be a good time for a V8 swap.:shrug:

good point guess ill shoehorn a blown big block stroker in there:nice:

STOP THE JOKE'N AND START THE SMOKE'N

just kidd'n im actualy just trying to make a nice daily driver for my daughter .of course she wants the gt options w/ all the goodies but she doesnt have to pay her insurance or gas ( or tires for that matter) till shes out of school .
what a deal huh. my pops would have never even cocidered that.