3.8L T5 to 5L T5

i am looking to upgrade my 97 v6/5spd pony to a v8 trans. i know all in all they are virtually the same, but there are technical differences.

if people use the 4 cyl T5's in v8 applications for harder (and less safe) launches, i know that it is not impossible to use a v8 tranny in my v6.

what i dont know is what would have to be changed. would the input shaft from the v6 have to be installed in the v8 trans due to the longer bell and shaft in the v6?

i know a few parts are not interchangeable because of le3ngth and what not, but is the diameter of the input shaft the same? (read: can i retain my pilot bearing or will i have to use a v8 pilot bushing?
my transmission had 70k on it when i bought it some 8 years ago, and now its got bad vibrations and difficulty shifting sometimes... all the usual things that are expected to go within the first, say 300k miles. so im really have nothing to bitch about, i just want a stronger trans and figure the v8 T5 is the best option.
the car has many options and upgrades, with more to come, so the stronger trans is the way to go, and not just rely on the old 6er.

thanks for any help....

• Sponsors (?)

does anyone know?

You already have a V8 tranny.

The reason you don't hear about these types of swap is because it's unecessary

The 94-97 T-5 is the same spec T-5 as the 85.5-1989 T-5 used in 5.0 Mustangs. The gear ratios in 2nd and 3rd are slightly different but we are talking about a 1.99 2nd vs a 1.93 2nd in the V6 which is very miniscule and not even worth mentioning. Both of these transmissions are rated at 265 ft-lbs of torque.

In 1998 or 1999, The t-5 was upgraded to the same gearset as the 1990-1995 5.0 Mustangs. It was rated at 300 ft-lbs and had the same gear ratios. All 05+ Mustangs have the same 300 ft-lb rated t-5 as the older 5.0's now.

So...keep your T-5. It's actually better than the older 5.0 t-5's as it features a synchroed reverse that the older ones didn't have. Gearing and strenght is the same virtually.

So here's a case where V8 parts doesn't necessarily mean better