3.90s

• Sponsors (?)

Got the 373 can't be more happy. 410 is just a cheap wayto go fast.IMO Also with the 410 I don't like the idea of losing top end speed. Later most people end up going back to a 327/273 gear because there cars have to much torque and hp.

Isn't it funny when you want to go really fast you put a big gear in but when you have serious horse power you go back to a stock gear.

GoBabyVroommm said:
Got the 373 can't be more happy. 410 is just a cheap wayto go fast.IMO Also with the 410 I don't like the idea of losing top end speed. Later most people end up going back to a 327/273 gear because there cars have to much torque and hp.

Isn't it funny when you want to go really fast you put a big gear in but when you have serious horse power you go back to a stock gear.

A cheap way to go fast? Heh...i bet your one of those retards that say Nitrous is cheating. And i can tell you from experience, you DONT loose that much top end. How many days of the week do you go faster than 120? I have once...and i dont plan on it ever again in that car.

Also, when you get serious HP you go back to stock gear? Yea, thats for people who dont know how to drive. I know/see people with 400hp+ with 3.73 or 4.10. If you have that kind of power, launching or just punching it is gona be hard for the tires to stick on streets and or stock tire size. THus you need to get slicks, the gear will be fine. :p On a daily driven car, NO less than 4.10. If you plan on Nitrous or Blower, 3.73.

I dissagree with everythign you said...

yeah I topped out with the stock speed limiter and stock gears at 145MPH. That was one time, in a RARE SITUATION, that will probably never happen again. You dont lose enough top end to even make it matter. Strip and redlight to redlight racing is where it matters, not topping out at 170MPH or whatever, thats just stupid and lame.

and yeah, I'm shooting for 400 horsepower at the rear wheels with 4.10 gears and a vortech blower (@10psi non aftercooled with other boltons). I fear not, the gear.

twogts4us said:
Nobody uses the 3.90s because FRPP doesn't make them. Only buy FRPP gears!

ohh really? Nobody uses them?? :rolleyes:

3.90s are a very good street gear. Maybe a little much with boost or Nitrous but I will have to find out the hardway. :banana:

lmao rare??? look in a few old school muscle cars. They used that gear all the time. Its only "rare" because the Ford 8.8 never had anyone set up the gears for them until. Its a very common gear in the 9 inch.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, apologies to the original poster.
When ordering gears, which I’m about to do, are all vendors the same when it comes to what is included with a purchase. I don’t need a rebuild kit so when I order gears will they come with everything needed to make a gear swap? New pinion nut, crush sleeve, shims, etc. Just what is included when making a purchase like this? I know I’ll need lube, friction modifier, rtv, etc. just curious about the rest and if the purchase and what is included varies from one vendor to another.
BTW I’ll be going with Motive 3.90s myself.

Thanks and apologies again
-Cale

Top speed - 140ish
1/4 Increase - .4 - .5 ish (get DRs it would be solid)
Gas Milage - Depends on how you drive, no real drop for me, i dont really floor it much and i dont go on the highway cuz i dont need to. I dont see a difference...

I just put in 3.73's and like them very much. I am probably one of the few that use their car commercially (outside sales). Why drive a Taurus I say. I drive 100+ miles some days. I think if you do drive allot of highway and are concerned about MPG they are a good compromise. I have yet to assess the MPG since I need to get the Speedo gear to calibrate the Odometer. With my Auto it is not groaning like an old cow now to get to the next gear. With my Mods in my sig it will light the tires hard off the line. Depending on the surface having to peddle it and get a 15 ft second gear. I went from the 3.08's and it is a big change. It makes the car feel like it weighs 500lbs less.
I do agree though that if you drive mixed heavily on the side of around town do the 4.10's especially if you are going go to the Strip on occasion. I am still going to with the 3.73 gear at the strip in the near future.

Do get the JMOD. Go to tccoa.com. It is a Thunderbird site. Birds have the same tranny. Go to the Tech Section and look at Transmissions 101 and learn about it.
Driving with it- Under 2500 rpm shifts very little is noticed. 3000 Chirp, WOT Bang! It feels like a Manual powershift.

With it and at least 3.73's you will make your car a true performance car. YOu now will have a car that you should feel confident that you can out run most Rice Burners at stop lights.