3.90s

• Sponsors (?)

mogs01gt said:
ohh really? Nobody uses them?? :rolleyes:

3.90s are a very good street gear. Maybe a little much with boost or Nitrous but I will have to find out the hardway. :banana:
OK, I should strike the words nobody, never and always out of my vocabulary. But you and I both know that 99% of the people out here are running:
A. stock gears
B. 3.73
C. 4.10
I considered 3.90s for my 02, but was talked out of them by many who said only buy FRPP gears. And I still have no regrets whatsoever with my choice to go with 3.73s. My wife's 01 already had 4.10s and they are just a bit much for daily driving. 1st gear is nearly useless. Just my opinion...

alright thanks guys

I still have been hearing good things about the motive gears ..being just as good as the ford racing ... at www.mustangtuning.com they actually recommend them cause they are cheaper and just as strong with no whine

not sure which ones ill get yet ...don't think I want 4.10s ...i'm on the interstate an hour every day

Steve777 said:
alright thanks guys

I still have been hearing good things about the motive gears ..being just as good as the ford racing ... at www.mustangtuning.com they actually recommend them cause they are cheaper and just as strong with no whine

not sure which ones ill get yet ...don't think I want 4.10s ...i'm on the interstate an hour every day
From what I've heard from you in this thread, I REALLY think you be happier with 3.73s. Especially with the last statement - being on the interstate an hour everyday. Just another 2 cents worth....

NewstangNewbee - You have an automatic car and you're going to be doing the PI headswap soon, at least this is what you've attested to in your above posts. I have a 01 GT with an automatic. Right now, I have a PI stallion torque converter with about a 3000rpm stall and the Jerry mod shift kit. Both are great mods for the automatic. As far as gears are concerned, I would go no less than 4.10 gears. Might want to try 4.30's. Thats what I'm having put in this weekend. A dyno tune would also be great for that car, especially after the headswap to get everything working as it should.

For more info. on the Jerry mod shift kit, go to www.tccoa.com Go to their tech articles and check under the transmission section for articles on the 4r70w automatic. It's pretty much cake from that point. If you have any other questions, just ask.

NewStangNewbee said:
Yeah I have another post on here about cheap headers because I am changing heads and intake. DO you guys know where to buy cheap lt's
Mac Long tube headers are fairly cheap compared to others but they will rust in time and like most long tube headers, you have to pull the passengers side header to get access to remove the transmission so thats something you have to think of also.

still tryin to decide what ratio :shrug:
ordering them soon though ....4.10s are pretty tempting ...so about 2,500 to 3,000 on the interstate is what it looks like ill be running doing 70-75 mph? ill be on it a lot ...not so worried about gas mileage ...just dont want excessive wear on my engine from just cruising at speed ...i'll surely enjoy the torque of 4.10s though
thanks guys

I am in kind of in the same boat with the gears. I have a 96 Automatic. I go to school for nine months out of the year. My college is 120miles away, and I have to come home every other weekend due to the job I have while in school and during the summer. So my question is what are the crusing rpms at 60mphs 70mphs and 80mphs? I also just got a brand new engine put in that has about 8,000miles on it? will the gears wear my engine? thanks.