3 dead cylinders HELP

Fostang

Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Stockton, Ca
Background: new build 331 thought it was a balancer problem but before tearing it down did a compression check. (shaking real bad on revving)

1,3,8 have ZERO! 0psi compression added oil checked again nothing. The rest of the cylinder have 165-170psi.

edelbrock 2.02 1.6 heads
1.6 rrs
tfs 2 cam

Today pulled the drivers side head. Checked the valves on 8 nothing out of the orinary. Put oil in to see if it dripped nothing made it through. Removed the valve spring and spun the valve on the seat flat!

There was nothing that looked like the valve had contacted the piston. The spring didnt looked as anything was wrong with it.

Cylinder is super clean as if nothing was going inside of it.

On start up for a while the motor was running WAY rich 55psi on 30's. I wasn't present and my friend is who fired it up without checking it. My question here is could the rings not have seated and been washed out to the point where they didn't compress?

Swapped injectors,plugs, and wires. No change.

How about the valves being adjusted to tight? How tight would they need to have been adjusted for them not to function properly, leaving the valve open, thus allowing the compression to escape to the point in which no fuel was left inside to even produce some carbon like in the other cylinders.

The heads came from a running motor that had no problems 2 days prior to installing them on the 331.

Going to borrow a leak down tester tomorrow and checking 1 and 3.

I'm totally confused. I'm getting own3d here.

Any suggestions, comments, recomendations???

• Sponsors (?)