3 g alternator into 84

KyleEBK

Jan 27, 2008
Ok my vehicle has an external regulator and the older alternator with 3 inputs on it

I pretty much understand the wiring all i need is a harness from the junkyard(or if you know a good place to get one let me know)

I notice the pulley on the 94-95 mustang alternator is larger then the one on the 84 alternator the 84 has an external fan.. can the pulley from the old alternator be taken off and put on the new one?It looks like its connected right to the fan... if so how do i get it off?

if i leave the pulley on the 94-95 mustang alternator am i going to have problems fitting my belt back on it?

thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You can make the wiring yourself if you have the connectors, but I posted a link below to the harness I used to put a 3G on my 86 stang. If you scroll down you will find the pulleys as well. Honestly though I have underdrive pulleys and I left the larger pulley on the alternator and I still get 13.5 - 14 volts at idle with lights and heater on, and 14.5 - 15 v with no lights or accessories running. So no charging problems. But if you do have problems the smaller pulley will give you more voltage output.

This guy makes a bunch of useful wiring for stangs.

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=7

3G install into an 85 or earlier Mustang:

attachment.php

thnks redfire I called about 10 places around my area (junkyards,dealerships,parts stores) couldnt find anyone with the harness

junkyard wouldnt get it for me and wouldnt let me in to get it due to insurance issues and dealership wanted alot

so how do i use the harness with it? jus cut off the end and hook up the s wire on external regulator plug to the i wire on the alternator plug and the a wire to the a wire on the alternator plug?