3 Questions

dlaul01

Apr 2, 2005
I just bought my new gt mustang 1990 5.0 its sweet the only thing is when in gear and going by the speedometer it makes a noise. My buddy is supposed to fix it tomarrow he said its the speedometer thing going to the tranny and it needs oil.? You guys think that is right and also my back hatch i need a knew latch to make it stay shut how would i do that i think its to bolts and i could just replace it. Other than that the car is fine i need new brakes as well. Somone please help me with my questions Thank you, Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Don't oil your speedo cable. It's not supposed to have oil in it, and didn't come with oil in it... Just replace it.

The hatch latch (I'm a poet and didn't know it) can be replaced, and all you need to do is take the hatch trim off, unbolt it, and replace it.

Good luck

Yes, they ususally squeek when they go bad... The needle ususally jumps up and down at low speed also. You gotta pull the dash hood around the cluster, and take the cluster loose, take the electrical connections off... then squeeze the cable, and it comes off.. Run it out of hte fire wall. Then unbolt it from the trans, and put the new one in, making sure to put the speedo gear back on. I dunno how much they are at Autozone or what not, but I would recommend a STOCK OEM replacement, from www.50resto.com or www.cjponyparts.com because aftermarket cables have a reputation of squeeking prematurly.

My speedometer is fine tho it does not jump at all? it just sqweeks a little sorry about the miss spelled word. I also found out today my hatch latch on my 90 gt my 93 lx are not the same so i will have to order a new one.