30,000 And Now What?

23 Stang

Nov 5, 2003
Chicago, IL
I'm at the brink of hitting 30k on my car (00 GT 5spd). I bought it with about 28k. I didn't get anything checked on it when I got on it, because I got an amazing deal so I didn't even bother. I've changed the oil on it once, but my question is, is there anything I need to change for sure on the 30k mark? My brother tells me to not even care, unless something breaks, but I like to make sure I fix stuff before it breaks. He also says even if I get it checked at ford, they're gonna rip me off and take 300 bucks for doing absolutely nothing. What do I do? Do I need to change anything, and do you guys think I should get it checked out ASAP? I mean, it seems fine, clutch seems decent, still grabs good and doesn't slip, maybe a little high, but it's perfectly fine. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, and also, for those of you guys in the colder parts of the US, how do you guys keep your car clean? I mean my car is soooo dirty outside and I don't even know if I should bother get a car wash and then seeing it get all dirty tomorrow. Thanks again...

• Sponsors (?)

Your right about ford, they would probably charge you for **** you dont need. I bought my 00 GT last year. Hereare some things I did or peice of mind which ou an do also. First I changed the belt, put a new one on. I also flushed my cooling system new anti freeze. check your brakes. Basically anything that is wear and tear. But the belt was the 1st thing. Good luck. :flag:

Wills Black 98 said:
what about for 40,000? should i change my belt?

I changed mine at 40,000 - it's $20 and a few minutes work. Worth it in my opinion.

As for doing a quick tune up I'd say to look at the following areas:

transmission fluid
fuel filter
oil change
inspect/change brake pads - check rotors
cooling system flush
inspect/replace belt
change gear oil
check tire inflation/wear & adjust as needed

I also did the plugs on mine - if you decide you want to change them, be cautious of the aluminum heads. Do it cold, be careful threading the new plugs and use a bit of anti-sieze on each plug.

All reasonably inexpensive & you have piece of mind and a starting point for future service.