30,000 Maintenance?

user2520528

Nov 18, 2005
Welp, it's that time.

Odometer just hit 30,000 and I'm snooping around for a proper place to take my 2004 Mach 1 to be serviced. Recently the mechanic I've always used, decided to renovate his garage(s) so he's out of business for quite some time.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a place that I can bring my car to, to be serviced? I am in northern New Jersey. I am just a little nervous about bringing it to someone I don't know is all.

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, taking it to the dealer is your best bet, but doing it yourself isnt a bad idea either.

Something alot of people dont think about is that sure, a dealer can be expensive, but 9 times out of 10 you will get better service at a dealer. A dealer will always, or atleast in most cases, do their best to keep you happy. Having a better CSI (customer satisfaction index) score makes the dealer look good to Ford. Trust me, I know all about CSI (work at a toyota dealer).

I can also tell you that doing a 30k service at a dealer, you may be doing more than you need. Changing your trans and rear diff fluid isnt a bad idea, but most things on a mustang you dont need to service for quite some time. Depending on your mods, the air filter may need to be cleaned or replaced. Change your trans and rear diff fluid just because its cheap, and clean your throttle body out. Other than that, you really shouldnt need anything. Stock plugs are rated to 100k, and mine were looking good at around 90k when I changed mine.

None of the service items I mentioned are difficult. At the very least, you should be able to have it all done in a saturday/sunday afternoon. Take your time, kill a 12 pack, and save some money. Need help? Someone on here can help you.

Honestly, taking it to the dealer is your best bet, but doing it yourself isnt a bad idea either.

Something alot of people dont think about is that sure, a dealer can be expensive, but 9 times out of 10 you will get better service at a dealer. A dealer will always, or atleast in most cases, do their best to keep you happy. Having a better CSI (customer satisfaction index) score makes the dealer look good to Ford. Trust me, I know all about CSI (work at a toyota dealer).

I can also tell you that doing a 30k service at a dealer, you may be doing more than you need. Changing your trans and rear diff fluid isnt a bad idea, but most things on a mustang you dont need to service for quite some time. Depending on your mods, the air filter may need to be cleaned or replaced. Change your trans and rear diff fluid just because its cheap, and clean your throttle body out. Other than that, you really shouldnt need anything. Stock plugs are rated to 100k, and mine were looking good at around 90k when I changed mine.

None of the service items I mentioned are difficult. At the very least, you should be able to have it all done in a saturday/sunday afternoon. Take your time, kill a 12 pack, and save some money. Need help? Someone on here can help you.

Sorry to hi jak the thread but how much does it usually cost for the dealer to do a tranny fluid and rear diff fluid change?

Sorry to hi jak the thread but how much does it usually cost for the dealer to do a tranny fluid and rear diff fluid change?

For a 5spd, tranny fluid not that much at all. Its a drain and fill proceadure...easier than changing your oil. Drain it out, put the plug back in, and fill it till it starts coming out of the fill hole plug it up and your done.

Rear diff might cost you a little. Still easy, but it requires you remove the rear diff cover, clean it off and re-seal it, then fill the diff up. I dont think you'll pay any less than 1/2hr labor, but no more than an hour, but dealers do vary.

I still say do it yourself, its not difficult AT ALL. Remember to add the rear diff additive and do so in a well ventilated area, that stuff STINKS!

For a 5spd, tranny fluid not that much at all. Its a drain and fill proceadure...easier than changing your oil. Drain it out, put the plug back in, and fill it till it starts coming out of the fill hole plug it up and your done.

Rear diff might cost you a little. Still easy, but it requires you remove the rear diff cover, clean it off and re-seal it, then fill the diff up. I dont think you'll pay any less than 1/2hr labor, but no more than an hour, but dealers do vary.

I still say do it yourself, its not difficult AT ALL. Remember to add the rear diff additive and do so in a well ventilated area, that stuff STINKS!

except for one problem on the tranny refill....the fill plug is on the top right side on the rear part of the transmission...so you need something to pump it in there with....other than that, it's no big deal.

except for one problem on the tranny refill....the fill plug is on the top right side on the rear part of the transmission...so you need something to pump it in there with....other than that, it's no big deal.

Nah,just remove the shifter and fill the tranny with fluid that way,thats the way I do it.

Also i beleive your not suppose to use throttle body/carb cleaner spray in the throttle body right?It has that coarting inside of it right?:shrug:

None of this stuff is hard to do at all...but sometimes you don't want to do it.

I've done diff fluid changes before. They are easy as pie...but the last time i did it I caught a mouth full of fluid and thatstuff is nasty. The next time, i might seriously consider paying someone to do so.

None of this stuff is hard to do at all...but sometimes you don't want to do it.

I've done diff fluid changes before. They are easy as pie...but the last time i did it I caught a mouth full of fluid and thatstuff is nasty. The next time, i might seriously consider paying someone to do so.

Thats true,sometimes i dont feel like messing with an oil change so I just pay someone to do it...I get really lazy at times...:D