$300 for a set of GT40 heads...good/bad

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
is that a good price for some GT40's.. I would like to upgrade a little in the head department when I have the intake off to put the GT40 intake on but just wondering if that was a good deal. I would have them cleaned up a little and a 3 angle valve job done and maby install my scorpion 1.6 RR's..probly new springs at the same time

• Sponsors (?)

oh one of the intake bolts broke off in one of the heads but that is no biggy for me I can build it up with weld than weld a nut to it and turn it out...or get my boss to do it he always has good luck with that kind of thing.

If the intake bolt broke off in the head, just drill a small hole in the bolt and use it to turn the bolt out. Sometimes you can also cut a notch in the bolt and turn it out with a screwdriver. Try to save the threads in the head if at all possible.
Grant

I don't mean to hijack you thread bud but do have a few questions. I to have stock E7's right now w/ my current combo, see sig. If I were to go w/ some GT40's also, what else do I need to change? I mean do I use the same rockers and springs that are on them? What about push rods? Do I use the ones I have now or the ones that were on the engine I took the GT40's off of? I already have a valve seal leaking a little so I will be pulling them anyways to fix that and I know I can find a set of GT40's cheap. One more thing, I know they come stock on some explorers but what year? My intake and headers wil also line up correctly with these, correct? Thanks fellas, and sorry again Roland69.

Brandon

$300 for a set of used GT-40 heads is a great deal. You're not likely to find them any cheaper than that and they're a big improvement over the stock E7TE's. If you've got any money left over, it might not be a bad idea for you to have them ported as well. If you're going to bolt them on, might as well have them moving as much air possible before hand. Thumper460 is pretty good with the GT-40's if you can afford it.

As for what's needed to bolt them on, they're a direct replacement for your E7's. All of your old hardware should be identical and interchangeable to the stuff on the GT-40's. With regards to the year, the '96-'97 Explorers had them and from to start and from '98-up Ford switched to the GT-40P castings.

GT-40 heads only came on 96 Explorer's. 97-up were GT-40P.

Not totally accurate. 1997 was a transition year; therefore Explorers could be had with either head depending when in the year it was built. Early in the year would have been the standard GT40 as where later in the year may have been equipped with the newer “P” casting.

Could someone explain the difference to me between the GT40 and the GT40P heads and if there is a difference will there be any hardware changes?

ONce again Roland69, sorry for hijacking again! I can start another thread if you want but just figured while everyone is on this subject I would just chime in.

GT-40Ps flow a little better better but have a different spark plug angle, requiring special headers (or you will have to remove the headers to change the plugs).

You will love the GT-40's, especially if they are ported. I'd send them out to Thumper for his port job. I have ported GT-40's on my 331 and am very happy with them.

GT-40Ps flow a little better better but have a different spark plug angle, requiring special headers (or you will have to remove the headers to change the plugs).

You will love the GT-40's, especially if they are ported. I'd send them out to Thumper for his port job. I have ported GT-40's on my 331 and am very happy with them.

Even though they are angled and the headers would have to be loosened and pulled back I can still use mine then. I don't really want to have to get rid of my Bassani's.

Even though they are angled and the headers would have to be loosened and pulled back I can still use mine then. I don't really want to have to get rid of my Bassani's.

Very true, you can probably find a workable solution with either a special spark plug wrench or just loosening up the headers.

It's not a huge PIA unless you are having to change or check the plugs often. I'd definitely take the P's over the non-P's.

Cool thank you. Didn't they change to aluminum at a certain year also or are those the P style?

You're thinking of the GT40X castings....which are better than both the standard GT40 and GT40P. But they were never offered as standard equipment on any Ford vehicle though. They were bought through the now defunct Ford Motorsport (FRPP).

OK, I heard they we factory equipment on some. Something like 2000 or 2001 model years Explorer's. Heard that here actually but can't remember the year for sure. They may have been confused though. Thanks for the info.

you can get a shorter spark plug but I don't know for sure if they will help with the P heads.

I think i will grab the heads from my buddy...I was just thinking if I buy them and have them worked over I could end up with 6-8 hundred bucks in them or should I save a bit more coin and get some aluminum heads somewhere. If I did get the GT40 and changed my mind later on would I be able to get my money back