$300 for abs sensor install?

allenpark94gt

Aug 3, 2003
allen park
got my gears installed...was supposed to be done yesterday...now they call my today sayin they have to break the abs sensors to get them out and its gonna be 300 for parts and labor for the abs sensors alone...is this way too high?

• Sponsors (?)

tell them f-off and to stop ripping people off.

$300 is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOO HIGH!!!

next time u go to the shop... do this...

take ur right or left plalm, now make a fist... now with motion towards and away from your body about 8-10"... start going towards your body and away(about 5-6times)... then get in ur car and start the ignition then drive away ASAP!

when i got my gears done they broke mine to, they said there was no way around it which im sure there wasnt because they didnt make any money off breaking them, they sid the parts would be about 100 bucks i think for 2, i called up ford an asked them how much the parts would cost to see if what the shop told me was higher then what ford was charging an it was the same price. but 300 bucks is way to high, there is no install, they pop right in an plug in, its as easy as that

were doing my gears right now ( Myself and a friend ) we are finishing it up today. We dident have to break the ABS sensor, the harders part is getting that damn crush sleve on :mad: :mad: we stoped right at that part yesterday.

They are not far in the process at all if they are just getting to the ABS, tell them to put the tires back on the car take it off the lift and go else were, there ripping you off.

If nothing else, let them do the gear install and then you can fix the ABS. Get your gears and PM and I will tell you how to do it in about 5 minutes, half the time it takes to install them. But, definetly tell them to F***OFF.

Paul

Striped5.0 said:
were doing my gears right now ( Myself and a friend ) we are finishing it up today. We dident have to break the ABS sensor, the harders part is getting that damn crush sleve on :mad: :mad: we stoped right at that part yesterday.

They are not far in the process at all if they are just getting to the ABS, tell them to put the tires back on the car take it off the lift and go else were, there ripping you off.

My ABS sensors came out like butter. But I soaked them in PB blaster the night before and 30 minutes before I removed them. So maybe that had something to do with it.

They did save money by breaking the ABS sensors. They saved the time in taking them out carefully, and they are also going to make more money off of you if you pay them to do it.

IT LITERALLY TAKES 2 MINUTES TO RE-INSTALL NEW ABS SENSORS. I am not joking about this either. Just do it your damn self and save the money.

Striped5.0, I know what you mean about the crush collar. Here is a trick that might help you out. Screw 2 adjacent bolts into the pinion flange a couple of turns each. Then take a prybar, and stick it inbetween the two screws. If the prybar is square, tighten the screws until the prybar will not move (the lips on the screws will hold it in place). Then get a big breaker bar, and PUSH the pry bar and PULL the breaker bar w/ the socket. This will allow you to make very tiny turn-incriments and make it easier to turn as well.

Sure you know this, but you can't reuse the crush collar once you torqued it down. You can get new ones at NAPA for pretty cheap (NAPA calls them pinion spacers).

My sig has a gear install link at the bottom that has tons of info/tidbits.
Scott

yeah one of mine broke too when my mechanic was doing my gears. it sounds pretty common. but he's an honest guy, and all i had to pay for was the new sensor, which he got at carquest. maybe your guy is charging ford's price for the sensors? getting them from ford is going to be way more expensive.

They broke one of mine too.... I drove the car without them for 2 years.

I finally bought a pair off of a totalled car for under $50 if I remember right. Took 5-7 minutes to put them on the car.

For sure do it yourself. It's as hard as removing the rear wheels and lifting up the rear seat to plug them in and run the wires. No biggie.

Same thing happened to me. They broke one of my abs sensors on the drivers side and wanted me to pay for the labor and the price of the part. I told them dont even worry about it just do the gears, and I have been driving around without it ever since.