3000 Stall or T-5 Swap???

I know that the 3000 stall would really wake up my aode, BUT, will a T-5 swap release more hp/tq? I know GCOMFX will come to the defense of the 3000 stall, but I also read on a post on here that a T-5 swap was the best mod he had done to his car, just like a cam or something like that. Don't remember who said it though.

• Sponsors (?)

i have never regretted my t-5 swap. ive had way more fun with my car in the past year than i have had with the other 4 years ive had my car. there isnt much that beats the fun of a t-5 car unless you are usin the car as a drag and want the consistancy of an auto....thats just my opinion tho

I think you will like driving with the T5 more. Most people like shifting.... But If you want my opinion go with the stall. You track times will be alot more consistant maybe even better than a T5. Ive currently got a 2500 stall(AOD) and I love it. It really woke my car up quite a bit.

95Vert said:
I used to have a 5-speed and it is so much more fun, so many things you can do with a stick that you can't with an auto. Was the swap a pain?

What can you do to a T5 that compared to an auto???? You can buy a stronger clutch and shifter.

With an auto you have the option of manual valve body, shift kit, unlimited amounts of stall speeds, line lock(not tranny but hey)

What I meant with that was when you're on the street. You can shift so many ways to get the rpms high really quick. Like down to first just to get the rpm up there then quick shift into second and third. I don't mean a high speeds, of course. I don't know, I mean stick is much more fun and if you know how to drive it, as consistant as auto, but does the stall free up as much hp/tq as the swap? Not to mention the weight loss.

oh you can do a ton to an auto to get it better than a t-5 but i think you lose a lot of the fun factor. there is much money to be invested to an auto compared to a t-5 i think. if you love drivin your car then i think a t-5 would be best.

nope...she was great after i installed everything. i saved up for a few months collecting pieces when i foudn good deals and i did it all for about a grand. it was worth every minute putting it in (took about a week with a few hours put into it each day).

If you are going to make some big horsepower numbers and torque that T-5 won't last long. Neither will your stock AODE however, your auto can be built to handle more than the T-5 will.

I really thought about doing the switch myself but I have a bad left knee that acts up every now and then so I was really torn as to what I was going to do.

I met a guy at a local car show that owns a Coleman Taylor shop and was telling him about my problem. I was going to buy a Art Car or Lentech but he said they actually build those type of transmission. So after getting a price they put everything performance into my tranny as they could stuff mechanical diode, Kevlar clutches, harden input shaft the whole nine yards. I already had a 2500 P.I. stall.

After I got it broken in a bit I got it out on a back road and let it rip. I must say from a dead stop between first, second and third it shifts like a mule just kicked it. I have driven stick cars and I can say without a doubt in a straight line there is no comparison between a stick and auto but that is just me and my bad knee talking.

Do whatever you feel you need to do but you owe it to yourself to drive a car with a built automatic before you decide to do the swap.

Nucking Futs said:
I have driven stick cars and I can say without a doubt in a straight line there is no comparison between a stick and auto but that is just me and my bad knee talking.

yeah, but a great stick driver can usually out driven an auto. look at killercanary. his video is sick at how good is manual driving is and he isnt even the best (close maybe ;) ). i know some car company just put out a claim that their new automatic is better than any possible manual driver. now that is possible but that is top of the line automatic. most autos arent that great and a good/great stick driver will probably be better.

plus if an auto slips, it is harder for them to recover compared to a manual driver

Any hp/tq "sucked up" by an auto is greatly compensated for with a good converter. It's also a good idea to not skimp on the gear either. A good set gears will do wonders for the fun factor of any car, especially an auto one. I'm running 4.10 now and they're great, but I intend to move on up to 4.30 in the future. :D

BTW. Mine is a daily driver and is regularly driven to school over 40 miles away. I tend to average over 20mpg on the highway.

i have an auto so i would say get the stall. but i mean you cant beat the fun of driving a stick. but then again if ur dead ass tired its easier to drive an auto. also the chicks love driving a fast car.