Founding Member
Apr 19, 2002
Minneapolis
Hey guys!

I have $3000 to spend on mods.
I have a 99GT 5 speed, and it
is all stock except for the K&N.

The car has 29K miles, and I only
put on 4-5K a year. Rarely go to the track.

what would you do?
Please do not suggest NOS, supercharger
or 4:10 gears.

I have done all my body/wheel mods last year.

What would you do first??

Thanks Guys! :shrug: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

mac9898 said:
Hey guys!

I have $3000 to spend on mods.
I have a 99GT 5 speed, and it
is all stock except for the K&N.

The car has 29K miles, and I only
put on 4-5K a year. Rarely go to the track.

what would you do?
Please do not suggest NOS, supercharger
or 4:10 gears.

I have done all my body/wheel mods last year.

What would you do first??

Thanks Guys! :shrug: :flag:

sorry man, But most guys on here would love to have 3k and then some towards a blower. since you don't want me to suggest that. Ummmm, I don't even know what kind of car you drive, I am assuming a 98GT from your name but thats just a guess. if you drive a 98GT, go with PI headwap, full exhaust :shrug:

If you have a 99+ GT. go with full exhaust, accufab plenum & TB. some headwork maybe(stage 2 port polish) and a NICE dyno tune!

Blakers01GT, you don't know what kind of car he drives? Umm, he said 99 GT in the post (2nd line right after $3000 to spend) - :doh:
Mac9898, how about 3.73s? (Or, at least, 3.55s) If you're dead set against gears, you really owe it to yourself to take a ride in a basically stock GT with gears. It makes a huge difference...like the car has lost about 750-1000 lbs! If you desire the feeling of being pushed back in the seat while rowing thru the gears, lower rear gears (higher numerically) will enhance this like nothing else. :D
Besides gears, I'd recommend a Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system, an X pipe, Pro 5.0 shifter, Steeda timing adjuster, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Accufab throttle body and plenum, C&L MAF kit with Trueflow pipe, Superchips SCT chip or Diablo chip. With labor and tuning, that should take care of your 3K! And you'll be grinning from ear to ear for months! :D

Blakers01GT said:
just noticed you have 99 GT, excuse my ignorance. It all depends what you wanna do with your car, wanna make it more of a track car, or more of a street car?
Alright Blaker, we'll forgive ya once...! ;)
But you've missed the mark a second time...he stated he "Rarely goes to the track". What's we gonna do with you? :shrug: ;) (JK)
Actually I forgot to list another mod that I've been considering...sub frame connectors. 02GT02 has listed them in his top ten, which reminded me. People have said they make a huge difference and really tighten the car up, which it sorely needs.

Sorry for this post, but you will drop 3K on the car all to make it run high 13s with boltons. Even if its not a track car, you dont wanna lose on the streets to rice burners. I dumped 6k in my GT to realize is still a slow 13 sec GT, I regret 90% of what I spent, and wish i had just bought a blower.

DJT03GT said:
Sorry for this post, but you will drop 3K on the car all to make it run high 13s with boltons. Even if its not a track car, you dont wanna lose on the streets to rice burners. I dumped 6k in my GT to realize is still a slow 13 sec GT, I regret 90% of what I spent, and wish i had just bought a blower.
I somewhat agree with this statement, I have dumped about 4-4.5k into my car to realize that its almost completly balanced out now. I dont regret spending my $ on what i've got so far..
Sure its only a low 13 second car at best, but it stops great handles great(without the DR's on the back)not so bad with them. And its a little quicker than it was stock(probably picked up 35 or so hp at the wheels) As for the looks i only have a grille delete,tint... and some power adding stickers!

But to each his own, If I had to do it again I'd probably have got the blower first.
If only so I could enjoy it longer...While the rest of my car caught up to the power output... :shrug:

In my opinion GEARS are a must no matter what... and I am happy with my 3.73's Also subframes are up there too. as for the rest. ?????

funny, ive only spent 1k on my car:scratch: does that mean if I spend two more thousand im going to lose .9?

Jackie Chan said:
well, if i wasnt going to the track and i was going to drop 3k into my car, id just put a blowr on it with a nice conservative tune and enjoy it. But since i race my car that money would be spent on slicks, suspension, cams, heads.

I'm with John on this - if you want to put $3,000 into the car it depends on what direction you're going. If you want the car to be all show, you can drop $1,000 or so on billet engine and interior pieces and another $2,000 into body pieces.

As far as performance, if you just want the car to be a little more fun to drive then you don't need to spend $3,000. Just fix the weak points - shifter, midpipe, catback, a couple suspension mods (sfcs, lcas). If you want to get a little crazy with the exhaust to burn a few $$$ look into a side exhaust.

Seriously, though, if I wanted my car fun to drive and 100% streetable I'd put a Vortech on it and get into it when I wanted to have fun.

Just my .02.

Jay