300CI six cylinder...

• Sponsors (?)

fuzzy;

Isn't your Dad's project a '66 Stang? If so, my advice on the 300 is forget it! The 240/300 cid six cyl was Ford's idea of a "292-killer" in trucks; and it's a huge block to put in a Stang. I'm thinking it's too long; and I'm pretty doggone sure that you're not gonna fit it's height in under the hood.

If your Dad wants to run six-in-a-row but wants more than 200 cubes; I'd suggest you guys look for a 250 out of a late Maverick or early Granada. Compared to the 200, it's got a slightly taller deck height, a little bit wider across the oil pan rails and slightly wider across the top of the block; but at least you'd only be modifying motor mounts, not shoving the radiator into the grille and trying to peer over a 6-8" cowl hood! :eek:

Swapping a 250 in place of your 200 would be like dropping a 351W (or even a Cleveland) in place of a 289. Doing the same with a 300 would be like trying to slide a 429/460 in the place of a 289. Sure, you could do it, but why??? :shrug:

Hey, gents. Thanks for the replies!

I'm just a newbie, so I was going off this article... If this is inaccurate or just silly information, by all means, I bow to your superior knowledge. I'm just trying to learn my way! Haha.

Though very few of you will have an interest in the 200-six's biggest brothers, the 240 and 300ci sixes, we're going to share some information with you. The 240 and 300ci sixes were installed in large cars, trucks, and vans from the '60s until the '90s. In fact, the 300ci six was equipped with port fuel injection until its demise two years ago. Clifford Performance offers a lot for the big Ford sixes. Crouch tells us the 300ci makes more torque, and has a broader torque curve, than the 302ci V-8. The 300ci six has a 4-inch bore with a 3.96-inch stroke. Put these numbers alongside the 302 V-8 (4-inch bore with a 3.00-inch stroke) and we find the 300 six has the clear advantage. Serious huf***e (and leverage!) going on here. Plus, if built, ignited, and aspirated properly, it will take a 7,000-rpm blast.

If you have a passion for Ford sixes and want to spank your buddies at the traffic light, consider the installation of a 300 six in your Mustang or Falcon. Why? With special engine mounts, Clifford makes it possible to drop a 240 or 300ci six into your Ford compact with hood clearance to spare. So what's available for the 240/300ci six from Clifford? Plenty! Five differ- ent manifolds--two fours, three twos, one four, one two, and two twos. Cast-aluminum valve covers. Custom-forged pistons. Mallory ignition. High-performance oil and water pumps. Even forged crankshafts. Ultimately, you can achieve 600 hp and 7,000 rpm with a 300ci Ford six. Just imagine the possibilities in your sleeper street car.

Clifford makes motor mounts to drop a 300 in a Mustang/Falcon? Wow - I'm gonna have to look at their page again! Still seems like it would be tight from front to rear. A friend of mine had a '69 F100 with a 300 in it - seems like it rode a lot closer to the radiator than the 406 in my '72 F100...... :shrug:

A 300 in a lightweight early Stang would be a whole bunch of fun, though. Kinda like the 258 in Mrs StDr's Gremlin back when we met. Big, torquey motor, which AMC got when they bought Jeep, who got it from International, who originally bought the design from GM (a stroked Chevy "Blue Flame" 6-banger that powered the very first Corvettes). Put it in a lightweight, short-wheelbase, no-weight-out-back, peg-legged Gremlin; and you could spin donuts on the gas pedal alone! :banana:

EDIT: I just remembered - we have some 300 cid-powered '96 F150s on our company fleet. Like one of the above posts mentioned, they're port-injected (MAF EFI even). Dogs on the highway; but they blow the doors off my '00 F150 with a 4.6 at the stoplight - which was the main reason why, when I was looking for a new-to-me truck to replace the Rice-Eating Generic Chevy Truck; I wouldn't even look at a newer Ford without the 5.4!

Does anyone know where I should be looking to find a 300? Or what I should be expecting to pay?

I have a few queries out on other boards, but so far nothing at all... I know they're not rare, I *assume* I could go to a junkyard and yank it out've something... But I don't know what year/vehicles they came in, or anything like that...

Any help is appreciated - and I'm really glad that the articles I posted were interesting to you fellas! That Gremlin sounds :jaw:

Can you just come over to my house and sit on the workbench? We'll feed you quarters and you can answer all our questions? Really appreciate the help, you're very knowledgeable.

He will DEFINITELY want to stick with a carb, so that works well.

Not all the answers, and they can definitely be the wrong answers.... I have to get over to Cliffordperformance.com and check out how they got the 300 in a Mustang; 'cause that would be just too cool.

A friend of mine has a 197? Bronco with the 300 onboard. His came out of a '95 E150 van, and he actually offset a scoop on the passenger side of the hood so that the EFI intake had clearance. Put in a truck NP435 (wide-ratio) 4-speed and tall gears in the pumpkins - buzzes down the highway at many RPM's and then crawls and growls up sandhills and rock formations with the best of the crowd. No car show awards; but that's because people don't have car shows back in the desert where the Bonzai Bronco goes.....

www.fordsix.com

That's where I usually hang out. There's a guy there named Michael Raley who has a 300 in his 'stang, and the beast flies. It's a great engine. You should stop by over there, tell them about your project, and everyone will tell you "do it do it do it do it!" They'll even tell you HOW. =D

I'm obviously retarded. =D You've been. I'm Wilhelmus over there.

Check out the 144-250 Small six forum and look at the aluminum head link. Just throw one of those on a 250 with some megasquirt or eec-iv injection and a turbo.

intakeandexfacesml3dw.jpg

Attachments

• intakeandexfacesml3dw.jpg
    intakeandexfacesml3dw.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 157
Sounds like alot of money and work when you could just swap in a Small block V8.

The 300 6's had a reputation for being a very durable and long lasting engine. That's about it.

True they have lots of torque, but also have a low redline to go with it. A great fit for a truck, not so great in a sports car. A neat project, but I really don't see the benifit over a small V8.

Sounds like alot of money and work when you could just swap in a Small block V8.

The 300 6's had a reputation for being a very durable and long lasting engine. That's about it.

True they have lots of torque, but also have a low redline to go with it. A great fit for a truck, not so great in a sports car. A neat project, but I really don't see the benifit over a small V8.
On the other hand, what is the cost/benefit comparison between the Megasquirt and an EEC IV system backed up by a TwEECer? Sometimes, ya just want to stand out in the crowd. :p

As for the torque and low redline: Hey - Somebody will have a use for all those 2.7??? rear chunks getting tossed for 3.55's.
The Gremlin I mentioned was my then-girlfriend's (we're going on 24 years of marriage now) inherited car - it was part of her father's estate when he died. Had a (I want to say 2.71) chunk and a "light" gas pedal; and I had a hard time keeping from lighting up the rear tires regularly. (And it was all factory stock.)
fuzzylogic: That Gremlin didn't produce the :jaw: factor that I experienced with one other Gremmie. Got to ride with a retired Caddy mechanic in the '72 Gremlin X that he took back from his daughter after her third ticket. It had -factory- a 343 V8, a toploader, and 3.50 gears in the axle :eek: I don't know what automaker AMC got that motor from(or what ol' Jim had done to it); but in that little bobtail car, DAY-YUM!!! He did finally let me drive it; but only on a dirt road - "If you jump on it on pavement, you lose steering for a few seconds 'til the front wheels come back down". :eek:

I've been hitting all the boards mentioned in this thread. Wow - I knew the 300 was a great truck/desert-goat-SUV motor; but the street perfromance aspects of it are pretty shocking. And it fits under a Mustang hood :scratch: :nice:

the main reason i wouldn't use a 300 in a stang is, it changes the weight distribution in a not very favorable manner and it weighs more than a 302!!!! if you want to stay with a six popper get a 250 from a 69-up mustang, maverick, granada, etc. install an aussie crossflow head and a 450cfm holley 4v carb and a split header with some dual exhaust. it'll make a very nice street engine that still get's decent mileage and will actually FIT in the engine bay with no mods. you can use the frame mounts from any of the cars i mentioned above with little or no mods at all and the rest is basically a bolt in.

On the other hand, what is the cost/benefit comparison between the Megasquirt and an EEC IV system backed up by a TwEECer? Sometimes, ya just want to stand out in the crowd. :p

Lol. In my case:

Megasquirt + 4bbl holley TBI + fuel system = ~$1000

EECIV + Tweecer + fuel system + aftermarket intake manifolds(for my HP goals) + TB + MAF + Injectors, etc would have been well over $2000.

But I get what your saying. Pop the hood to a 302 and nobody looks twice.