300hp mark, what do you think.

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok well i already know 300+hp is attainable with gt40p heads. And I know that with those same heads and a gt40 intake I have seen 280+ to the wheels with the stock cam. How many of you think that with extreme and careful tuning and a super healthy motor 300 could be attained on the stock cam?

• Sponsors (?)

Also I could tell you this. My car in perticular right now is putting down 225/300 to the wheels on stock ignition, stock cam, stock rocker arms, and stock heads and intake. Motors internals completly untouched. Only thing car had was catted x-pype and underdrive pulleys and k&n drop in performance wise. I dont see why 300 couldnt be gotten with the stock cam

It's do-able......but the amount of money you would spend in machine work......kinda pointless to keep lower end components like that. Do you have all the parts already and that's why you're wanting to know, or were you planning on buying the stuff?

with the gt40s, i dont think youll wont hit 300hp espescially with a stock. AFRs 165/185 are the way to go :D. an edlebrock will do the same but cheaper. a gt40 intake will do only if its ported upper/lower. with the cam, for our cars year model, steeda 18# will do the trick even though i heard frrp cams will work fine. my buddy has this setup on his fox and he went way beyond 300 rwhp in 90+ degree weather :nice:

300 rwhp is possible on gt40p heads people on here have done it just not with the stock cam and i have seen 280 on stock cam and the heads i am putting on have had serious!!! port work. With the right cam i know i will see 300+ i was curious how far I could take the stock though.

A few OEM iron head based combo examples from my files :)

Please Note: There is no way of knowing :shrug:
if the pulls were done with a STD or SAE calibration

therefore ... some of the results will be a bit inflated :(

Grady

iron_only.jpg

300 rwhp is possible on gt40p heads people on here have done it just not with the stock cam and i have seen 280 on stock cam and the heads i am putting on have had serious!!! port work. With the right cam i know i will see 300+ i was curious how far I could take the stock though.

Do you know how difficult is is to go from 280 to 300 keeping those stock components? The cam is the most important part in making power and you want to keep it stock and try and hit a HP goal that is just barley reached w/ aftermarket H/C/I ?

Why not spend the extra $150 and be a lot closer to 300 then you will be w/ the stock cam?

They can have all the port work in the world... but without the proper cam and components to take advantage of said work.... your gonna be below 300:shrug: I have even seen Decent HCI combos dyno below 300

lol let me rephrase what i meant. I was just curious how far the stock cam can be taken and was curious if 300 wheel HP has ever been achieved on it. I was never worried about making over 300 with the combo and the right cam. Because I know I will be over.

And I know that with those same heads and a gt40 intake I have seen 280+ to the wheels with the stock cam. How many of you think that with extreme and careful tuning and a super healthy motor 300 could be attained on the stock cam?

280 should be doable :)

The average of the above p headed combos is 279 rwhp ;)

Sure ... A sharp tune always helps :D

My car in perticular right now is putting down 225/300 to the wheels on stock ignition, stock cam, stock rocker arms, and stock heads and intake.

A few words about the stock stuff

I used some of it in my sig combo
and
Still to this day ... I got some of it in place

Using it is not always a compromise

Take the OEM ignition :)

Going to aftermarket will yield no gain with a NA application

A lot of folk use the OEM stuff simply because they have a
limited budget which means many compromises will have
to be made.

You know ... Things like you stated ... A good tune

Face it ... a tune costs a good bit of money :crazy:
but
It does make a difference :nice:

Another thing about combos with a focus on using OEM parts

A good bit of the time ...........

These combos are first atttempts by the builder
thus
The experience is also limited

Some of the little things one learns along the way have not
been put in place

I only bring up these things to point out I believe they can have an
influence on the results when you look at combos such as these

All the little compromises made can and do add up :Word:

Lastly ... OEM stuff like heads

I mean ... they closely follow a design from the early 60's

You take some AFR's, TFS's, or Edels which have much later technology

Well you see why you can only go so far with the older stuff

Cams ... For years and years ... They have been produced to help
crutch up the poor exhaust ports in the OEM heads

Nowadays ... You got cams which have been produced with the
aftermarket heads in mind which have no issues with the e ports

anyway ....

A lot of the budget combos you see on these boards

They just did not have the good fortune to take advantage of everything
possible and a good bit of the time, peeps just can't justify throwing
money toward all that old stuff cause it just ain't worth it.

In no way am I knocking OEM or Older Stuff :nono:

Just showing there are many reasons that stuff yields gains a bit lower
than the newer or aftermarket stuff

Grady

Ok well as far as my gt40p's that I will be using are flowing 240cfm at .500 lift and i do believe that is afr territory. So that old tech new tech stuff w/e it all comes down to what the head will flow besides the obvious it being aluminum and cast iron if you can get oem heads to flow what edelbrock and afr heads will flow then whats the diff.

With the right heads and intake, you CAN make over 300rwhp with the stock cam especially if you have 1.7 roller rockers.

Unless there is nitrous involved I seriously doubt that. I agree with adam, I too have seen some rather nice HCI combos that fall short of the 300hp mark. 1.7 roller rockers and a stock cam don't account for much. I don't understand the fuss over the Gt40p heads anyway, there decent heads but there still heavy iron. I would go with an edelbrock aluminum head or something similar and drop some of the weight off the front of the car.

240cfm at .500 lift is pretty decent intake....but what's the exhaust flow on them? There are so many factors that come into making power, it's a rough game. You need to ask yourself though what you really want out of your car. Are you trying to make it a sleeper? Even if you do get 300hp out of "stock" components....are you going to be happy with that? You could easily get 300hp for the same money using aftermarket stuff that can be ported/modified more later where as your oem stuff is going to be maxed out already. Either way....you have the 300hp goal, so that's a good place to start :nice: