300whp goal

50notchbk

Feb 7, 2006
I'm new to the stang world and now have my project car. My goals with this car a simple I guess. I want to keep it looking mainly stock, a T56 tranny, and 300hp NA to the wheels. I'm not a fool when it comes to wrenching on cars, but I know nothing about how to build a motor up. I can/have put them together and taken them apart, just never got into the rest of it. So here is my question after a long winded intro. What would it take for me to get the 300whp mark? I am open to getting an used motor and building it or if the price is decent a crate shortblock. I should also mention I will not be going to a strip it will just be a street car. Any idea on a cost for this too?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

To get 300whp out of an actual 302, you need a good set of heads (AFR165s/185s, Trick flow Twisted Wedge, Holly Systemax), a good intake (take your pick), the right cam, and an aftermarket exhaust system. Or you could go the forced induction route with a supercharger, nitrous, or turbo. Don't go for a crate motor, you can build it for less, and you probably won't make 300rwhp with 'em.

I've got a custom built 302 with the starter and all the bolt-ons for 2,500, and I'm tellin ya. You could part this thing out for more than 25-hundred. It would annihilate an FMS crate motor.

It also made nearly 320 to the wheels as it sits, which I can verify with an old dyno.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=747348

Chris

blake89stang said:
it would take full suspension to propel a 300rwhp car into the 11's

438/504 only got my buddys 02 WS6 M6 into the 11.8@120 and he is a damn good driver but when he gets the DR's on(315/35/17) he'll be in the low 11's

That is in a heavy ass Trans AM, 438 hp and over 500 tq will propel a fox a little faster than that.

I am hoping the addition of Trick Flow heads and cam to my combo will send me over the 300rwhp mark. With a good tune hopefully I will make more power than my nitrous numbers

blake89stang said:
it would take full suspension to propel a 300rwhp car into the 11's

438/504 only got my buddys 02 WS6 M6 into the 11.8@120 and he is a damn good driver but when he gets the DR's on(315/35/17) he'll be in the low 11's

Kyle, who is a member here did it on stock suspension in a heavy 93 cobra making 318 rwhp. Several other guys with FTI combos have done it as well. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And your buddy is running that slow on street tires because he can't get traction. My Twin Turbo was the same way. Went low 11s at 121mph on slicks... Went 12.21@119mph on street tires. I don't care if your buddy's name is John Force, that WS6's time has no bearing on what a 300rwhp fox-body is capable of.

All it takes is slicks, a good launch and slick shifting.

Chris

Truth on the hooking up. I had a cobra, see sig, and with my tires I went 12.2@117. The problem was hooking, and probaly my driving as well..But the bottom line is, weight+power+Torque gives you your times. You can have huge HP, but if you do not put it down to the track, it makes no difference.

In my new project I plan on having +300 rwhp, but heh, she's a trim 2650 lbs on the scales :)

wow what car did you get down to 2650lbs? i'm hoping my Rx-7 is right on the 2500lbs mark. it pulls pretty hard right now with a stock motor. i'm hoping HCI and possibly nitrous will get me into the 12's.

~Steve