which is more feasible and what are the pros/cons

• build 302 and install 6 speed with money from the 460

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • build 460 and swap it in

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
help me decide what to do..

the 5.0L's specs check my sig
the 460's specs less than 100 miles on all internals and valvetrain, edelbrock performer 460 intake, pistons not even scored yet, cylinder walls look like they are fresh from honing, most likely a low duration cam for low end torque since it cam out of a bronco. The block is a '68 from a lincoln, the first year the 460's were made with matching numbers on heads, heads are clean, ported and polished.

Im just in a dilemma now because i know have a borg warner 6 speed tranny from a 1997 LT1 trans am in my shop that maybe will bolt up to the 302. Lemme know what you guys think, build up the 302 and put in the 6 speed and sell the 460 for money to do it, or keep the 460 build it up over time and swap it in.

• Sponsors (?)

As usual, I agree with Michael Yount. But I think I would go with the 302 anyway because you can make plenty of power with it and it will be a much easier drop than shoe-horning in the 460. The guy I got one of my cars from had a 92 lx with with a 460 and 13,000 original miles on it. He went to sell it and nowone wanted it. Ended up practically giving it away.

There is much more commitment with the 460. With the 302 it's much easier to change things in the combo if you get bored.

I'll rephrase my opinion...

If i was going to build a drag car with occasional street use (ie. cruises, car shows, etc), I'd drop the 460 in it and then in a year or so get some aluminum heads and a hot cam.:D

Now if i was building a street car with occasional trips to the drag strip, i'd stick with the 302. :nice:

speedracer238 said:
I'll rephrase my opinion...

If i was going to build a drag car with occasional street use (ie. cruises, car shows, etc), I'd drop the 460 in it and then in a year or so get some aluminum heads and a hot cam.:D

Now if i was building a street car with occasional trips to the drag strip, i'd stick with the 302. :nice:

I agree :nice:

302 is going to be way more streetable, and when your putting something that isn't meant for the car like a big block something always goes wrong, I know from experience with my dad's car...so much extra timing figuring stuff out.... :(

Haven't voted yet. I swapped in a 460 into my stang. Wish I had done a little more research. But it is/was all worth it being able to light the tires anytime with an engine with over 250,000 miles. Swap parts and the time to swap it can be a pain.
You may be better off with keeping the 302. Parts are readily available and fitment is much easier. There is plenty of room in the bay, but hood clearance sucks.

You know what, you have to drive and pay for the thing. It is your decision. About the only bad thing to the 460 is weight and swap parts. Mad power can be made esp with forced induction/nitrous. There are plenty of high performance parts for either motor.

i'd do it just for the fact that you would have one of the biggest motors made. but you will have nothing for fuel mileage. a stock 460 in a truck with or without a load usually gets around 8 mpg. but just bolt ons would get you in or over the 350 hp mark, although i am no expert on estimating power.

Just Do It.

I say drop the big block in - make your grandkids go wow in 40 years when you recount stories of wheel spin at 65 mph. 99.9% of mustangs have done the 302 modded thing, if you have an easy option to be the 0.1% and you are split either way then why not do it - you can be ordinary on your next project.

Just so you don't think I am a hypocrite, I also run a 302, but am in the middle of a turbo project. :D

The reason 460s get bad mileage is because they are in 4000-5000 pound cars, and with no overdrive. Bolting on newer, more efficient speed parts and installing it in a small car like the Mustang will greatly increase the gas mileage.
Secondly, the 460 makes more power and with less. You are correct, a 302 can make as much power as a 460, BUT try making 450 horses with your E7TEs, 87 octane and all motor. People say 460 speed parts are expensive and some are, but the point is you dont need them. Aftermarket heads cost over 2 grand, but the stock heads can dish out plenty or power.
Third, weight: A lot of folks are out there running around with a supercharger, intercooler and what not on their 5.0s and some are doing it with iron heads. Relocate the battery, install aluminum heads on the 460, and have no power adder, and the weights are even.

4, streetability: The 460 makes so much lowend power and can do so with stock parts that it will beat any modded 302 as far as streetability is concerned. A 460 with a cam, intake and exhaust will purr like a stock 302, and wont need to be revved to get anywhere. The power is almost instant.
Im not knocking the 302, Im showing the qualities of the 460. The only vice to the bigger engine is weight and with a little more money and some moving around, you can fix that too. In my mind, there is no price issue especially from a group of guys running fuel injection, aluminum heads, roller cams and power adders. Dont tell me you cant afford a carbed edelbrock intake or a flat tappet cam or a $200 set of used headers. As for fit, multiple companies make swap kits and anyone with a brain can do it. It all comes down to getting off the negative attitude towards anything different. I dont see anyone gripping at the guy with a 426 Hemi in his '32. I dont see him complaining about weight, lol.

SmockDoiley said:
The reason 460s get bad mileage is because they are in 4000-5000 pound cars, and with no overdrive. Bolting on newer, more efficient speed parts and installing it in a small car like the Mustang will greatly increase the gas mileage.
Secondly, the 460 makes more power and with less. You are correct, a 302 can make as much power as a 460, BUT try making 450 horses with your E7TEs, 87 octane and all motor. People say 460 speed parts are expensive and some are, but the point is you dont need them. Aftermarket heads cost over 2 grand, but the stock heads can dish out plenty or power.
Third, weight: A lot of folks are out there running around with a supercharger, intercooler and what not on their 5.0s and some are doing it with iron heads. Relocate the battery, install aluminum heads on the 460, and have no power adder, and the weights are even.

4, streetability: The 460 makes so much lowend power and can do so with stock parts that it will beat any modded 302 as far as streetability is concerned. A 460 with a cam, intake and exhaust will purr like a stock 302, and wont need to be revved to get anywhere. The power is almost instant.
Im not knocking the 302, Im showing the qualities of the 460. The only vice to the bigger engine is weight and with a little more money and some moving around, you can fix that too. In my mind, there is no price issue especially from a group of guys running fuel injection, aluminum heads, roller cams and power adders. Dont tell me you cant afford a carbed edelbrock intake or a flat tappet cam or a $200 set of used headers. As for fit, multiple companies make swap kits and anyone with a brain can do it. It all comes down to getting off the negative attitude towards anything different. I dont see anyone gripping at the guy with a 426 Hemi in his '32. I dont see him complaining about weight, lol.
Wow!! I'm definely going with a 460 in my coupe. :nice: