302 bored 30 over questions

kpack5982

Yeah, it was pretty stiff, but eventually a buddy
Jul 13, 2005
Granger, IA
So a buddy is getting a bare 302 block bored 30 over free from a friend. Been sitting for a while so he's gonna do a little clean up and asking me about a cheap rotating assembly. I suggested to go with a 331 or 347 stroker kit, but he doesn't want to shell out "$1000.00 bucks" as he says. Plus it's for his daughters car so he just wants a baseline rotating assembly for cheap that will be dependable as well.

He's gonna get the block together and this summer and put some modified 351 heads on, not sure what intake or carbs tho, but he has those sitting around. Eventually he's going to upgrade to some mild mannered name-brand heads, intake and carb I guess. Probably not until next year or so.

Anyways, I've looked around and found full probe rotating assemblies for a 306 listed as around 8-900 bucks. Is there anywhere to get a complete rotating assembly for cheaper? I mean, the stroker kits are not much more!, but unfortunately he's not interested in that.

By no means is this going to be a monster, probably 300 horses to the rears at most EVER in it's life is what he's going for. Great street manners and drivability, and he doesn't want the compression so high he can't run pump gas, which I know shouldn't be an issue if he's not gonna go to outrageous on it.

Also it's been a little while since I've been in the mustang game. Is the TFS Stage 1 cam still a good cam to go with?

Thanks for your help and opinions, it's much appreciated, and sorry for the novel :D

• Sponsors (?)

From what I've found, the only way to cut corners on cost is to salvage a used rotating assembly. If you can find a whole short block with minimal bore wear, you can reuse the stock pistons and avoid the cost of the balance job and any other machining that a bored over block and aftermarket pistons would require. Basically just do a stock rebuild with new rings and bearings.

Or you could do this:

79-95 Economy 5.0L Mustang 302 Short Block, Accepts Any Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

That will be fine for a basic H/C/I without any boost.

I have a brand new in the box DSS 331 balanced stroker kit. It sells for $1069.95 shipped from DSS. I will sell it for $850 shipped. Here is a link to the add.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...ml#post8213629

I saw that! Heck of a deal. I'll let my buddy know. I'm gonna talk to him tonight and try to see where he really wants to go on the build.

so I talked to my friend and he is thinking he's gotta find pistons at least for the block. As I said before he HAS the block already, just bare. Couldn't he find a used crank and rods and just use new pistons?

Anyone know of a good place to find forged pistons for cheap?