302 Motor Mount Question

bullitt1939

Jul 18, 2009
I have a 66 Mustang, which I was told someone put 302 motor mounts in. It currently has no motor, but originally had a 289. I wanted to know if anyone knows if a 289 will fit on these mounts. Also is there anything I need to change since I am looking at a 289 engine that had a manual 3 speed. Will this bolt up to the C4 in the car or do I need some type of modification? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

They are directly interchangeable as long as we are not dealing with the newer 5.0 version of the 302 that has different flywheel and balancer weight plus the lack of a mount for the clutch linkage.

I would assume they were going to put a older 302 since the C4 is still in the car. I am not 100% sure, but looks like they were planning to keep it there with the 302. Thanks for the help though.

you can use ANY 302 windsor engine in the car as long as you follow a few rules;

1: you use the front cover and oil pan that fits the chassis

2: you use the correct balance factor flexplate/flywheel

3: if using a manual trans you either find a block with the Z bar pivot point drilled or you get a bolt on Z bar pivot designed for blocks that dont have one.

rbohm,

I am considering going back with a 289 just want to know if these 302 mounts already in the car will work? I think I am also going to leave the c4 in there. I have a 3 speed in my 67 and it is extremly difficult for me to shift. I don't know if this is normal or something is just not right. It doesn't grind or make any noise just hard for me to find the gears. Thanks.

yes the mounts you have now will do fine. as for the transmission, it sounds like the shifter needs a little work. if you pull the handle off you will see where two little rubber grommets go in the handle, and there are two little cups with springs in the side of the handle as well. the cups look like little freeze plugs by the way. replace the bushings, and the cups and springs, should cost you about $6 or so, and douse the lower part of the shifter with a good spray lube, and put everything back together and you should be good to go. it is a very simple job.

FYI there are two types of motor mounts at each side - upper and lower. Which one you are talking about?

Cross-member will be in the way if you have wrong oil pan.

Thanks for all the help. So after my last final today I checked out the shifter in my 67. On one side the cap and spring was completly gone and the bushings are worn out. I will just have to order a new kit for that. The cheapest I have found was around 25 bucks. I also lubed it real good since it was bone dry.

Getting back to the 66, here is a picture of the engine bay. Not great, but I found a 289 I think I am going to drop in it. There is already a C4 trans already in it.

Attachments

• 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 1,103
Thanks for all the help. So after my last final today I checked out the shifter in my 67. On one side the cap and spring was completly gone and the bushings are worn out. I will just have to order a new kit for that. The cheapest I have found was around 25 bucks. I also lubed it real good since it was bone dry.

Getting back to the 66, here is a picture of the engine bay. Not great, but I found a 289 I think I am going to drop in it. There is already a C4 trans already in it.

Don't order the 3-speed kit- Order the 4-speed kit. It uses a steel spring instead of a rubber cup, which gives you a tighter feel.

I think it had a 4 speed kit in it. It had a spring on one side and the other one was gone. I will just order the 4 speed kit and be done with it. I didn't know there was a different, but after looking the 3 speed comes with something rubber instead of a spring.

Your 66 has 65 frame mounts in it. It will require 65 upper and lower motor mounts. The upper mount bolts to the block and then the lower mount has a hole in it that bolts to the upper mount. There is a stud hanging out the bottom of the lower mount that goes into the hole in the cast iron frame mounts. Do you have the mounts that were on the 302? The 65 mounts are unquie to 65 only. If you no longer have the mounts, you will have to get both or change to 66-70 style frame mounts. Cheaper and easier to find, also correct for your car. I would then be willing to buy the 65 frame mounts from you. I have two 65's and one is missing the correct mounts

Your 66 has 65 frame mounts in it. It will require 65 upper and lower motor mounts. The upper mount bolts to the block and then the lower mount has a hole in it that bolts to the upper mount. There is a stud hanging out the bottom of the lower mount that goes into the hole in the cast iron frame mounts. Do you have the mounts that were on the 302? The 65 mounts are unquie to 65 only. If you no longer have the mounts, you will have to get both or change to 66-70 style frame mounts. Cheaper and easier to find, also correct for your car. I would then be willing to buy the 65 frame mounts from you. I have two 65's and one is missing the correct mounts

I will let you know what I decide to do about the mounts. I am out of town for a few weeks and the car is back home. This car has been a problem child since day one. First it took me 3 years to get the paper work stright. I now have a title and thought I found a motor for it, but the motor came out of a 66 and would assume had the correct mounts I don't know for sure. I don't have the mounts that were on the 302. I was just told the ones in the car were for a 302 the seller was going to put in it and never checked into it. The car has been sitting like this in my barn for the past 3 years. I have 5 other mustangs that keep with busy with repairs. I just happen to be looking and saw a 289 for sale nearby. Thanks for the info. I know a lot more about the 94-04 body style, but trying to learn about my 66-67s.

It doesn't matter what mounts were on the 302. ALL 289/302/351 had the bolt holes for the mounts in the exact same place. If you have the correct mounts for the 66 brackets in the car, your 302 will attach perfectly. Really.

I have no idea the difference in the mounts, but someone posted I have 65 mounts according to the picture. He said these mounts are specific to a 65. The motor I am looking at comes out of a 66, but if they will not work with mounts already in car I may just wait or have to change the mounts. I don't know much about this 66. I picked it up about 3 years ago and it has been in my barn ever since. Some started to restore it and only told me they set it up for a 302 nothing about it having 65 mounts in it. They also said the C4 in it has a shift kit. According to the VIN number the car is a 66.

The block is the same on all years. The differents is the frame mounts in the car, not the motor. The frame mounts dictate what motor mounts you have to use. The 65 year cars have a 3 piece mounting system. 1.) the motor mount 2.) a middle steel mount 3.) and a cast iron frame mounts. The 66 and later years all use the same two piece design. 1.) Stamped steel frame mount 2.) Motor mount that bolts to the block. You can not use 66 motor mounts on a 65 frame mount. They are total different. The frame in the car is the same from year to year just the frame mount that bolts through the frame is different. The easiest solution would be to get the proper 66 frame mounts available from any mustang supply house or used ones on ebay. Then use the mounts he has. The 65 motor mounts are still available but the steel middle mounts are hard to find and the cast iron frame mounts are getting even harder to find. In his picture you can see the cast iron 65 style frame mounts with a square vertical hole in them, not the horizontal hole that the 66 and later frame mounts use. Hope that helps!

I have no idea the difference in the mounts, but someone posted I have 65 mounts according to the picture. He said these mounts are specific to a 65. The motor I am looking at comes out of a 66, but if they will not work with mounts already in car I may just wait or have to change the mounts. I don't know much about this 66. I picked it up about 3 years ago and it has been in my barn ever since. Some started to restore it and only told me they set it up for a 302 nothing about it having 65 mounts in it. They also said the C4 in it has a shift kit. According to the VIN number the car is a 66.

So what? All 66 V8 Mustangs had the "65" style mounts until 11/1/65, so it's very likely the ones you have in the car are original equipment, since all August, September, and October-built 66 Mustangs had the "65" mounts. They will still attach to the 302, heck, if you bought a new BOSS 302 Ford Racing "crate motor", THAT would attach to your "65" mounts. Really. I'm not kidding.

I will repeat my first line again. The block is the same in all years. Thats not his question. If he has the motor mounts that were on the 302 that was in his car, then he needs nothing. If he has to buy motor mounts, then good luck because he is missing the middle steel mounts. He asked if a 289 will fit on these mounts. The answer is yes, if you have all the pieces. Which I will guess he does not. Most people just take the nut off the middle mount when removing the engine with this style and I will bet that the steel mounts are still with the 302 in who knowsville