302 rebuild.

This fall/winter Iam planning a rebuild for my 89. I bought a rebuilt shortblock for a good price not to long ago that I will be taking apart just to make sure everything is ok. It is a stock rebuild with a custom grind Comp cam. Specs of engine are:

"1990 5.0ho block, forged piston, stock crank and rods, melling hv oil pump and pickup, arp pump shaft, edelbrock timing set dual roller, timing cover, new water pump, all new bearings and seals, block was cleaned and inspected at the machine shop, comp custom grind cam, roller lifters, and pushrods

cam specs int. exh.
gross valve lift .513 .513
[email protected] 224 230
adver. duration 276 282
lobe seperation 114.0"

Iam currently running a Powerdyne at 6 psi, edelbrock performer intake, 70 mm tb, full exhaust, roller rockers, etc.....As far as I know stock heads. Now Iam looking to make around 425 rwhp and run high 11's. Iam debating between Twisted wedges and AFR's, and not sure if my intake will be enough. Hopefully I will be swapping out the powerdyne for a S trim at the same time. I have seen many different combos but Iam not 100% sure what is right for me. Remember I want to keep the power below the block splitting point so if say a Novi 1000 is enough(without overspinning it), or keep running the powerdyne with a 2.93 pulley is a good idea let me know. Another thing is head gaskets, with running a supercharger what are the BEST headgaskets to use and what material are they made with. Thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

bentley429 said:
This fall/winter Iam planning a rebuild for my 89. I bought a rebuilt shortblock for a good price not to long ago that I will be taking apart just to make sure everything is ok. It is a stock rebuild with a custom grind Comp cam. Specs of engine are:

"1990 5.0ho block, forged piston, stock crank and rods, melling hv oil pump and pickup, arp pump shaft, edelbrock timing set dual roller, timing cover, new water pump, all new bearings and seals, block was cleaned and inspected at the machine shop, comp custom grind cam, roller lifters, and pushrods

cam specs int. exh.
gross valve lift .513 .513
[email protected] 224 230
adver. duration 276 282
lobe seperation 114.0"

Iam currently running a Powerdyne at 6 psi, edelbrock performer intake, 70 mm tb, full exhaust, roller rockers, etc.....As far as I know stock heads. Now Iam looking to make around 425 rwhp and run high 11's. Iam debating between Twisted wedges and AFR's, and not sure if my intake will be enough. Hopefully I will be swapping out the powerdyne for a S trim at the same time. I have seen many different combos but Iam not 100% sure what is right for me. Remember I want to keep the power below the block splitting point so if say a Novi 1000 is enough(without overspinning it), or keep running the powerdyne with a 2.93 pulley is a good idea let me know. Another thing is head gaskets, with running a supercharger what are the BEST headgaskets to use and what material are they made with. Thanks :nice:

I'd strip it completely and have it tanked and inspected first. My local shop does this stuff cheap and does a good job. I'd get a 331 stroker kit for it if you want to run high 11's and have them bore and stoke it. You can get these kits on ebay for cheap. Just my 2 cents...

Killer50stang said:
I'd strip it completely and have it tanked and inspected first. My local shop does this stuff cheap and does a good job. I'd get a 331 stroker kit for it if you want to run high 11's and have them bore and stoke it. You can get these kits on ebay for cheap. Just my 2 cents...

I will be stripping the block and getting it checked out, but Iam not looking to do a stroker kit. The block is a 60k mile 302 out of a 90 GT and still has the stock bore, the cylinders are so fresh you can still see the light scratches.

If you change the heads, intake and all, you'll probably want another cam since that one is was custom made for a different combo; however, I'm no cam expert, so that one might be fine.

As far as head gaskets, fel pro should be fine if it's tuned properly. You want your head gasket to blow instead of breaking other more expensive things. Your head gaskets should be your weak link. You might consider getting it dyno-tuned after you get it all set up...prob. pick up a few more ponies and some peace of mind.

Good luck.

TheUser said:
If you change the heads, intake and all, you'll probably want another cam since that one is was custom made for a different combo; however, I'm no cam expert, so that one might be fine.

As far as head gaskets, fel pro should be fine if it's tuned properly. You want your head gasket to blow instead of breaking other more expensive things. Your head gaskets should be your weak link. You might consider getting it dyno-tuned after you get it all set up...prob. pick up a few more ponies and some peace of mind.

Good luck.

I was thinking the same thing about the cam, it was used with a set of iron GT40's. Also thinking about the trick flow track heat kit and just selling off my edelbrock intake depending on what everyone suggests to me. The car will be getting a tune regardless. :nice:

Fel-Pro 1011-1 would be fine for a good normal performance gasket or if you are going to have it tuned you could go with the Fel-Pro 1133 which are a MLS gasket, just have the surface prepped properly on the block before hand.