302 to 4 cyl tranny

you should use all 302 parts with the exception of the transmission if you are putting a 4cyl tranny on a 302. a 4cyl transmission will bolt up no problem--all you need is the pilot bearing. there is NO DIFFERENCE except the size of the TIP of the imput shaft which only affects the pilot bearing size.

• Sponsors (?)

92stangg said:
why are you so worried about going over 140

because speed is a factor for me. I race. I drive fast. im building a low budget racer. and im not worried abotu going over 140, the thing is.. i dont want the tranny whining like it needs to shift again when I get to 80mph, thats why.!

88hatchblack said:
you should use all 302 parts with the exception of the transmission if you are putting a 4cyl tranny on a 302. a 4cyl transmission will bolt up no problem--all you need is the pilot bearing. there is NO DIFFERENCE except the size of the TIP of the imput shaft which only affects the pilot bearing size.
where do you get your information.i done this on my car so i do know what is involved.first the bellhousing on a v8 is much larger.the pilot shaft bearing has a smaller hole.and the clutch fork is different.on a four banger the fork attaches on the same side the cable hooks up and on a v8 it attches on the other side and goes over the input shaft.that is where the to bearing goes.as far as the question of grinding goin into gear,that is the syncros and has nothing to do with the pilot shaft bearing. you will have to have a v8 flywheel and a four cyl. clutch disk. the reason for this is the splined area on the 4 cly is smaller than a v/8.you will need a v8 cluch fork too.also you will need a v8 starter cause the 4 cyl starter will not bolt up to a v8 housing

88hatchblack said:

USE ALL V8 PARTS WITH 4CYL TRANSMISSION

slow93 said:
where do you get your information.i done this on my car so i do know what is involved.first the bellhousing on a v8 is much larger.the pilot shaft bearing has a smaller hole.and the clutch fork is different.on a four banger the fork attaches on the same side the cable hooks up and on a v8 it attches on the other side and goes over the input shaft.that is where the to bearing goes.as far as the question of grinding goin into gear,that is the syncros and has nothing to do with the pilot shaft bearing. you will have to have a v8 flywheel and a four cyl clutch disk. the reason for this is the splined area on the 4 cly is smaller than a v/8.you will need a v8 cluch fork too.also you will need a v8 starter cause the 4 cyl starter will not bolt up to a v8 housing

bold=reasons i said USE ALL V8 PARTS! underline= WRONG! i am literally staring at a 4cyl tranny i just sat next to an old V8 T5 and there is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between them (spline length, ect.) except for the size of the tip of the input shaft; which goes into the pilot bearing and affects NOTHING else.
i thought this kind of thing was common knowledge to anyone who knows anything about mustangs :shrug: