302 to a 351W swap in a 69 coupe

MikeCim

Aug 10, 2007
Modesto, CA
I have a 1969 coupe, it came stock with a 302, but for my birthday my dad bought me a 351w. I was wondering how hard would it be to swap and what would I have to change? I also was thinking if I did the swap I should change the old C4 tranny for a very fresh C6 tranny. What would I have to change for that? I know I would need a new driveline. Any help would be great.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1969 coupe, it came stock with a 302, but for my birthday my dad bought me a 351w. I was wondering how hard would it be to swap and what would I have to change? I also was thinking if I did the swap I should change the old C4 tranny for a very fresh C6 tranny. What would I have to change for that? I know I would need a new driveline. Any help would be great.

Mike

as long as the 302 is a pre 1981 engine, you can take the flexplate from the 302 and bolt it to the 351w. i would freshen up the C4 and add a shift kit. you will also need the brackets from a 351w to use your stock accessories. the water pump from the 302 will also bolt on so you can keep the radiator outlet in the stock location. i would however upgrade the radiator to a good three row rad with a high efficiency core. this swap is a virtual bolt in swap.

You are going to need some of the accessory brackets from your 302 but most of the stuff will work. I THINK the timing cover will fit (not sure) and all of the pullys can be reused. Do a search on the classic tech forum. You will find that this subject came up about 2-4 months ago.

As stated before, rebuild/upgrade the C4 and you should be fine. Make sure to use new tranny/motor mounts.

Most everything will swap over to a long block as stated by others.

If you have a true long block like in that link, you will need the following:
351w distributor (Duraspark is optimum)
Intake
Oil pan

Everything else is just a swap from your 302 to the 351!
If you have PS or AC, then the brackets are hit and miss, but I have had pretty good luck going from 302 to 351w and even 351c with brackets in the past.
I think a PS bracket to a 351c is all I have had to modify once.
Never swapped AC...

Good luck!

351 swap

The 351 windsor engine is taller than a 289/302. You may have to replace your air cleaner to make it work and shut the hood. I went to a 24" 3 row for cooling after the 351 was swapped.