302 water pump and timing chain questions

67bluestang

May 13, 2003
Tucson, Arizona
I've got a 67 Coupe with a 302 and according to the numbers on the block its from a 78 Lincoln. The water pump lower hose is on the drivers side, so i assume a 72 and up w/p is what i should use.
Are there any differences between the 72 vs 78 302 timing chain setup? Should i just buy the one for the 78 302?
Thanks

Need to think before typing about the heater hose outlets!

• Sponsors (?)

timing chains will be the same as far as fit is concerned. In the late 70's Ford sometimes would retard cam timing(for smog purposes) by way of manufacturing the timing set with retard built in. I'm not sure if they did it on 302's though. They started usig d.s. outlet water pumps in late 69 or early 1970 I believe. The d.s. outlet water pump must be used with the corresponding timing cover, timing pointer, and harmonic balancer.

Anyway, if you're just replacing the timing chain, get a good double roller from CompCams or something. They are made with a true 'straight up' setting, and most have keyways for advancing or retarding the cam in 3 degree increments.

302 coupe said:
timing chains will be the same as far as fit is concerned. In the late 70's Ford sometimes would retard cam timing(for smog purposes) by way of manufacturing the timing set with retard built in. I'm not sure if they did it on 302's though. They started usig d.s. outlet water pumps in late 69 or early 1970 I believe. The d.s. outlet water pump must be used with the corresponding timing cover, timing pointer, and harmonic balancer.

Anyway, if you're just replacing the timing chain, get a good double roller from CompCams or something. They are made with a true 'straight up' setting, and most have keyways for advancing or retarding the cam in 3 degree increments.

Thanks for the info. That's kinda what i was thinking about on the t/c setup.