305 Vortech 1500 & 84 C4 Vette

spiff

Aug 7, 2006
Canada
I just want to ask you guys how you think I would hold up against the the following vehicles that my friends own, They are rather nervous and respectful of my car, but I still don't know how well mine would perform against theirs in a 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile situation. I don't have track times for my car either.

1. My friends 1997 GMC 1500 - Regular Cab Shortbox truck with a 305 Vortech. Its still a truck, and I don't think it would be too difficult but it might put up a fight... Any ideas? Truck is completely stock.

2. 1984 or 85 (not sure) Corvette - I've heard they are slouches, but I have no idea about this one, it is completely stock also though.

My car isn't anything wild, just whats in my sig, but I have e7's and a new exhaust (off road setup) coming soon. So how do you think I would do before and after the addition of the heads and exhaust against them?

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

305's are complete ****, there is something wrong with your car if you are worried about a 305 regular cab pickup.

cant rememeber what year my buddies early 80's vette was but it was also a dog. i handled him easily, but his car handles and stops MUCH better. that was before my springs, subframes and new lower control arms though.

I'm not worried I just dont want to be overconfident. I know TBI 305's are absolute trash but I have no idea about 305 Vortech's.

I know the vettes are rated at 200hp but I dunno if this is bull or not, or if this is at the rear wheels or flywheel. Buddy who has the truck fears me, but buddy who has the vette is really cocky... and gets torn because everyone says I'll walk him.

I guess the only way to know is to call them out to the track.

Don't underestimate the 305 Vortec. Everyone thinks they're a pos just because they're a 305, but the Vortec ones run pretty well. My mom has a 97 Reg. cab short bed 4x4 with a Vortec 305, and it would put a serious hurting on my truck which is identical but an '89 with a TBI 350. That being said, it's still nothing worth racing in a mustang, don't even waste your gas.
The Vette on the other hand, depending on what year, might put up a fight. I'm looking at my Corvette history poster right now, and in '84 they were 205hp, and '85 was 230hp. Looks like they weigh about the same as a fox, so it would probably be a decent race. Good luck.

the truck is probably a solid 16 second truck, i've seen extended cab 1500's run low 17's, you have both of them no doubt about it, my 89 went 14.2 with stock gears, a 200000 mile motor and full exhaust. You have nothing to worry about.