306 or 331???

MysticVobra

May 28, 2004
I am going to upgrade to an aftermarket block within the next couple months and need a couple suggestions. I have decided to bite the bullet and go with a dart block cause i want something bullet proof that i can beat the crap out if i choose to do so without worrying about anything. Should i go with a 306 or 331? This will be going into a daily driven car. Will a 331 last as long as a 306 assuming they are driven the same? As far as reliability goes is one better than the other? Is there any reason why a 331 would be less streetable? I only want to do this once so i want to look at all the pros and cons. I know i can get more power out of a 331 but i am more concerned with having the car be bullet proof and lasting for a long long time. Mods are in my profile if they need to be taken into consideration. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

you dont need a dart block dude unless your making power that of a 9 sec drag car and making continous runs. A dart block isnt gonna give you higher mileage. If your gonna upgrade go with a 331. 306 is nothing over your stock 302.

I'm not building a 9 second car. But i plan on making around 450-500rwhp and i am not counting on a stock block to do that reliably. Plus i will have room to grow if i chose to do so. My concern more or less is if a 331 is less durable in the long run compared to a 306.

I'm not building a 9 second car. But i plan on making around 500rwhp and i am not counting on a stock block to do that reliably. Plus i will have room to grow if i chose to do so. My concern more or less is if a 331 is less durable in the long run compared to a 306.

well, the more you bore out a 302 the less reliable it will be. I still wouldnt spend the money on the dart buddy. Im sure i will get flamed but thats my opinion.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the only difference between a 306 and 331 is the stroke right? Both are .30 over? So how would the 306 equate to being more reliable? If anything the 331 will have a new crank and rods...they'll both have new pistons and rings...i'd go 331, more stroke = more cubes = more power :nice:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the only difference between a 306 and 331 is the stroke right? Both are .30 over? So how would the 306 equate to being more reliable? If anything the 331 will have a new crank and rods...they'll both have new pistons and rings...i'd go 331, more stroke = more cubes = more power :nice:

exactly! The 331 will end up costing you a little more though. You will most likely (i did) Have to have the cylinder skirts notched so the rod bolts will clear

A stock block wont hold but you dont need a damn dart block either. Get yourself an R302 block for half the price. They are rated for 1000hp. There would be no reason to not to go 331 or higher. I believe you can go as high as 363 on an R block.

R blocks aren't 1/2 the price of a dart block, theyre about the same. A sportsmen block is 1/2 the price but its not even close to rated at 1,000hp. Not much better than a stock block. The new boss block may be cheaper than the dart.

I was thinking of just ordering a completely assembled shortblock from dss. They give you the choice of a dart or a boss block. I was thinking of dart over the boss though cause it has already been proven, havn't heard a whole lot on the boss block yet.

I was thinking of just ordering a completely assembled shortblock from dss. They give you the choice of a dart or a boss block. I was thinking of dart over the boss though cause it has already been proven, havn't heard a whole lot on the boss block yet.

I am IN NO WAY telling you one way or the other, BUT, you may want to do a search on this forum and some others for DSS and reliability...:nice:

My neighbor is running 525 rwhp on a stock block 306. His is a street car only. He use to run it at the track until he got under the time zone where you need a roll cage and he doesn't want to put one in so he stopped racing. He hasn't had any problems with his block. And i'm also planning on running 450-500 and up rwhp on my stock block 306. Mine is a street car only though. He's also running 28 spline axles but he doesn't hook up on street tires so he can't break anything haha.