306 or 351 what to do Input PLZ

Currently I have a stock 88 302 in my stang, I also Have a lower mileage 89 302 under the bench. I also Have a 94 351 pan to intake sitting there aswell.

I am debating weather or not to just go heads up with the 89 motor(HCI)
or to build the 351.Possibly with the sportsman 392 forged crank.

Wondering what the best setup would be
I.E. pros and cons of 351 or 392 over the 302\306 setup.
I'm new to strokers.
any input would be greatly appreciated.
All mill work will be free. if I go stroked.:canada: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I went with the H/C/I route. Great power. Fun to drive. And the result........I now have a 351W on the engine stand waiting for parts.

Just go with the 351W now and save yourself the trouble of buying parts twice. Even if you wanted to stay with a 302 based stroker, you will need good flowing parts. 302 parts will get you 302 power.

downside of a 351 based stroker is that you are probably going to break your T5. Smogging it will be a tad harder if that is a consern and typically your gas mileage will go down.
Kevin

i can get all frpp parts for cost plus 10%. so i this what i have in mind.

i was gonna build the bottom end proper. with the frpp 4340 forged 392 crank. go with .030 or .040 over forged pistons. as for the top end
I am gonna go budget for the time being. Until I can afford to buy some nice heads I was gonna use a set of 68 302 heads that are PnP, With 184 valves,
And then use the stock 351 lower for now.(i think it's the Cobra upper that'll bolt up to it.)
I have all the Mass air conversion already done.

I need to figure out what I should use for a cam, and injectors (obviously 19* are out of the question), I don't wanna go too radical being as I do drive it quite a bit. When money is free'd up I will probably go with A full trick flow Setup.

Without turning this into a 302 vs. 351 debate (all too nasty of a fight), if you already have the 351, i'd go that route. You'll already have more cubes than a good stroked 302, and you've got loads of room to grow. Plus a 351 block is a lot stronger than a stoked 302 and will take a hell of a beating.

Does anyone here Know of any write ups on the Stroked 351w?
I just wanna find out the details about functionality on this motor.
Like for instance, do they burn oil, little things like that.
I already know I am going to have to go to a bigger throttle body bigger injectors, Mass air, or i will choke it,
But how big of an injector will I need,
I have heard the 19* injectors will work with a stock to very mild 351, But I will be using a bigger cam, Heads and intake will be in the works after I get the initial build finished.
So I am only assuming that I will need 24* injectors at least.
I can only imagine that my T-5 will puke it's guts out shortly after I start driving with the new motor, What would be a better Tranny to use.
I don't wanna go through the crap of installing a T-56 or anything like that, No Auto's either.

dude **** the dumb! go 408 and dont look back!!!! you'll regret it if ya dont! a guy here runs a 408 and is going low low 10's N/A now try to build a 302/stroker to run that! Oh yeah i'm doing a 408 also so if ya wanna hook a brother up feel free to P.M me?! Also get ahould of sbftech on here he's very knowledgeable! peace

john:p

i think a lot of it depend on you budget. there's a lot of extra things your going to need if you whant a 351 based eng. some things swap over others don't and thats the problem. if cash is not a problem and it's more of a race car then a daily driver i say go 351

russ1979 said:
i think a lot of it depend on you budget. there's a lot of extra things your going to need if you whant a 351 based eng. some things swap over others don't and thats the problem. if cash is not a problem and it's more of a race car then a daily driver i say go 351
It is a daily driver but I am not overly worried about how long it takes me to get it done.I'd rather do it right than rush and halfass the job.

muttstang said:
i can get all frpp parts for cost plus 10%. so i this what i have in mind.

i was gonna build the bottom end proper. with the frpp 4340 forged 392 crank. go with .030 or .040 over forged pistons. as for the top end
I am gonna go budget for the time being. Until I can afford to buy some nice heads I was gonna use a set of 68 302 heads that are PnP, With 184 valves,
And then use the stock 351 lower for now.(i think it's the Cobra upper that'll bolt up to it.)
I have all the Mass air conversion already done.

I need to figure out what I should use for a cam, and injectors (obviously 19* are out of the question), I don't wanna go too radical being as I do drive it quite a bit. When money is free'd up I will probably go with A full trick flow Setup.
I wouldn't bother with a forged crank unless your gonna get insane with this motor, otherwise its a waste of money as the stock reworked bottom end is plenty strong. Defenatly get forged pistons, I wouldnt even worry about forged rods but you can if you want to. I would at LEAST get some worked 351 heads, AFR 205's being Ideal. For a tranny a Tremec TKO 600 would be nice, or you could rebuild your t-5 with a g-force kit.

Tyler so what you are saying is that I should Just go with Frpps Cast crank instead of the forged?
I want the possibility of maybe going to a blower down the road So I know I can't build it with too much compression, either.
But it will be a 90% street car either way.

All I'm saying is that there are many 'weak points' in the powertrain to consider and the cast crank is higher up on the list. Rear ends, Transmission and probly the block (to name the major components) will go before a cast steel crank will. I think killer shortblock components like forged cranks and H-beam rods belong in aftermarket blocks. It seems a factory block is good for about 800 Hp.

Tyler