306 solid roller motor, how would you build it?

95conv5.0

Mar 30, 2005
if i was using a a4 block, should i go ahead and get h beam rods, and forged crank?

or will 5140 forged i beams, and a steel crank hold everything i throw at it?

there will be no boost or nitrous used on this motor only n/a

• Sponsors (?)

the a4 block is stronger than a stock block but what but do you really want to be throwing a crank in there that is capable of more hp than the block? No! I see it as a waste of money having a forged crank in anything other than and aftermarket block. If i were you i would get the h beam 3440 rods but stick with a cast crank

95conv5.0 said:
if i was using a a4 block, should i go ahead and get h beam rods, and forged crank?

or will 5140 forged i beams, and a steel crank hold everything i throw at it?

there will be no boost or nitrous used on this motor only n/a

What are your plans and goals with the A4 block? What other parts are you planning on using? App. HP? TQ?

well the a4 block is rated to 800-1000 hp, but im sure the car wont put out much more then 400 or so, its going to be a 306 12-13-1 comp, afr 185s, victor jr intake, in a coupe car weighing it at 2850lbs, and a good amount of suspension work, im looking for a high 9 low 10 sec capability! and shifting at 7500-8200

I don't think Afr 185's are going to be big enough for what you want, to get into the low 10s with a 306 your going to have to have more head,like the 205's and probably turn 7500-8000rpm. Or a 150 shot of juice:D Just finishing up a 302 n/a build myself, looking for 6.80s in the eigth. I went with the TFS high ports. For what it's worth, I have a forged crank and light weight I beams in my A4. I wouldnt feel right turning 8000 with a cast crank, and I wanted internal balance. Ask 20 people running low 10's at 8000 rpm what kind of crank they are using, and I bet at least 75% say forged.:nice:

95vert354 said:
To go 10.0 in a 2900# car, your going to have to make about 575 hp at the rear wheels. Good luck getting 575hp from a N/A 302 with afr 185's.:rolleyes:
it wont happen! He needs ALOT more head and spinning 8000rpms he is going to have to do a solid roller setup otherwise the hydraulic lifters will be starved for oil around the 6700 mark or so. The afr 185s are already cnc ported out of the box.....they dont get any better!

Modular2v said:
it wont happen! He needs ALOT more head and spinning 8000rpms he is going to have to do a solid roller setup otherwise the hydraulic lifters will be starved for oil around the 6700 mark or so. The afr 185s are already cnc ported out of the box.....they dont get any better!
did you read the title to this thread? is says solid roller right in it, and yes afrs do get better, alot better if ported, if you have ever seen the cnc job on afrs its good but not smooth at all, theres alot of work that can be done to these heads....

95conv5.0 said:
did you read the title to this thread? is says solid roller right in it, and yes afrs do get better, alot better if ported, if you have ever seen the cnc job on afrs its good but not smooth at all, theres alot of work that can be done to these heads....
yes i read the title! i made that post at midnight and head my head lodged firmly up my ass :rolleyes:

95conv5.0 said:
but there is only a nominal amount of improvement to be made on them. . . . if you are going to buy some heads and port on them you should go with something that has more potential! Or just get some afr 205s and slap them on out of the box

Modular2v said:
it wont happen! He needs ALOT more head and spinning 8000rpms he is going to have to do a solid roller setup otherwise the hydraulic lifters will be starved for oil around the 6700 mark or so.

Hydro-rollers will go alot higher than you think. My 331 has been together since abou 2001 on the same stock Ford hydro-rollers shifting at 7,600 and sometimes 7,800 rpms. Stock volume oil pump with about 55-60 lbs pressure hot.

EMW150 said:
Hydro-rollers will go alot higher than you think. My 331 has been together since abou 2001 on the same stock Ford hydro-rollers shifting at 7,600 and sometimes 7,800 rpms. Stock volume oil pump with about 55-60 lbs pressure hot.
really? I have always been told otherwise.Thats interesting a good to know! i have been short shifting my 331 due to $hit valve springs

Modular2v said:
really? I have always been told otherwise.Thats interesting a good to know! i have been short shifting my 331 due to $hit valve springs

Keep I mind I run the Anderson hi-rev stuff which doesn't have the aggressive style ramps you run into with some custom grounds or like a Comp XE style cam. You can get into trouble if the cam is designed with ultra aggressive ramps. Valve springs are a big deal in mine too. I change them once a year even if they're not floating. That is imperitive to keep you retainers etc in good condition.

EMW150 said:
Keep I mind I run the Anderson hi-rev stuff which doesn't have the aggressive style ramps you run into with some custom grounds or like a Comp XE style cam. You can get into trouble if the cam is designed with ultra aggressive ramps. Valve springs are a big deal in mine too. I change them once a year even if they're not floating. That is imperitive to keep you retainers etc in good condition.
mine need a valve spring change BAD! i feel them floating around 6300rpm! I need new heads too really. It is a trick flow stage 3 cam so the ramps are pretty aggressive

Modular2v said:
mine need a valve spring change BAD! i feel them floating around 6300rpm! I need new heads too really. It is a trick flow stage 3 cam so the ramps are pretty aggressive

Yeah, you'll want to take car of that quick cause it's probably beating up your valvetrain bad. If you can feel them float they must be pretty extreme. When mine start to go I can't hear it or feel it, I just see it in the ET mph. It'll slowly just start losing mph till I change them then it's right back up. I've already gotten 2 mph back just from a valve spring swap.

EMW150 said:
Yeah, you'll want to take car of that quick cause it's probably beating up your valvetrain bad. If you can feel them float they must be pretty extreme. When mine start to go I can't hear it or feel it, I just see it in the ET mph. It'll slowly just start losing mph till I change them then it's right back up. I've already gotten 2 mph back just from a valve spring swap.
wow a 2mph gain in my case would put me a 128.....thats mid 10 second territory :D