306 timing help 5 questions

pjc600

Feb 19, 2006
first off here is my combo,:bang: 306, eledbrock victor heads, performer rpm intake, eledbrock 750 carb, cam unknown, 85 gt ford distributor crane cams recurve kit, duraspark box unknown year or make for the box.

This motor was not built by me it was used in a 93 coupe with fuel injection and a Paxton supercharger for three passes at the track and the car was wrecked I don’t have a supercharger.......

My questions,

One, what spark plugs should I use

Two, what should my initial timing be set at

Three, on the timing indicator where is the proper spot to line it up the hole at the bottom, the gap in the center, or the tip of the indicator.

Four, should I mess with the springs in the dis, I installed the vac can but not the springs

Five, is the gm hei module better I have the duraspark

I messed with the timing a bit but was puzzled to find that know matter how much timing I put in it, I could not here spark knock??????? So I ask the experts here!!:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

yes i know search the posts, well i have been doing this for two days now and have ancered some of these..

13-14 on the timing for A STOCK motor is it the same for the heads i run.......

the indicator is read at the top most point i think

but this is all iv found the search thing is wack and it spits out everything u dont want !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14 degrees intial timing. go to edelbrock.com and look up the instructions for your heads. run the spark plugs they suggest. get a msd set up if you are going to get new dizzy. the springs in a dizzy only effect when the mechanicall advance timing comes in.

You,just a idea,but Im 90% sure you dont have "victor" heads.Most likely performers,or performer RPMs.

A RPM intake wouldnt even line up with the port without alot of modification,let alone any reason to use Victor heads on a 306.

As for timing,14 initial is good start,and if you got more springs and such,jsut put the lighes srings you got in.Bring in the advance fast really feels better on the street.

Total timing will be best between 38-36*,unless you got a l heavy car with an auto,then drop it down 2* more.

you tell me

i cant up load, too big of pic......

about the heads i can say this there was a hole hell of alot of port matching and it pulls to like 7500-8000 there is no part number eny where on the heads just some letters edlebrock, v.neiman and R.A.P. on both heads, 70 cc victor jr i think,,,, and it is a stick car,\\

how are rc12yc plugs for thoes heads i cant find eny info on edelbrocks website

what plugs are in the heads?? go with a set that are the same or better.. i run autolites platnums in all my cars.. as for timing i would say 12 is a good start point.. and move up from there.. as for the hei.. woudl u really want gm stuff on your ford.. no.. if anything go msd and as for your heads.. why anyone woudl put victors jrs with a rpm is unknown.. the rpm cuts out at 6500rpm.. the victor heads seem big for a 306 but how much compression?? if it had a blower on the long block had to be kinda low.. stock 9:1 or lower.. and that is too low for those victor jrs on a na 306.. are you sure they are not performers or performer rpms heads??

i took edelbrock advise when i called them on this combo they said that the heads were victor jr and being that i use this on the street that a performer rpm would be a good choise for performance and drivabilty because of the low compresion and smaller carb i already had..

and it has regulary seen 6500 to 7800 rpm no not the stock tack either a new automeater unit...it comes alive at 4000 pulls hard to 7800 and then floats the valves at like 7900-8000

the idea i had was to run n.o.s. once i get this combo straight it should work great with the compresion.

im on a low buget and a new everything would be nice but i have to deal with what i got.. eny help or changes i am thankfull..

For timing, couple suggestions. I would take the dist apart and set the mechanical advance to the slot that gives you the least total advance. Supposedly, installing the advance plate so the 13L slot is on the limiter tab, gives 26 deg max advance, etc. If your dist has a 13L and a 16L for example, use the 13. Then you could put 8 deg base timing in, and adding the 26 deg, you would get 34 deg total, about right from my observations.

I would definitely install some lighter springs. I used the lightest two I could find in the Crane kit.

I have tried it both ways, but for the last 2 years I have not had the vacuum advance connected. This way I can set the base, and the total is that plus the mechanical.

It works fine for the limited street driving I do, and the car has run its best times this way. The advance can is on there, just capped. I have a C4 and a loose converter, so I don't need lots of low end, or gas mileage. I wanted to limit the advance for spray also.

I would keep the Duraspark. The 1980 unit in my 82 is moldy, but works fine.

I would not go to the HEI. Duraspark is reliable, if you need another box, they are available anywhere, and junkyard ones work as well as new ones.

If you have a head off, index the motor to exactly tdc. Otherwise, for visual timing, use the edge/pointy spot on the pointer.

I can't answer the plug question....

thank u very much just what i need for the dis kit.. dura spark is fine just was intresed in the g.m module because of the hype thought i was missing somthing

ok finaly i got pics up

MAIN PAGE== http://www.putfile.com/pjc600

motor1-- http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14412530594.jpg&s=f5

motor2-- http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14413110828.jpg&s=f5

heads 1@2-- http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14412571488.jpg&s=f5

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14413050944.jpg&s=f5

ok let the riping began i know she needs work still !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! open to good coments!!!! or ideas

rember that these pics are from when the motor went in three month ago some things have changed

Why do you ask about the cam. Yes i would like to know also ,but it seams to run good the power band is just a little up there. eny guess ,,,this guy was the type to do his reserch.
but i cant find him he went south for work, it was supercharged i seen it run at the strip and was on the way home two cars behind him when he was hit