306?

94indy

Feb 23, 2004
hattiesburg
I am looking into getting a shortblock for my car. I was thinking about a 306, but will a 308 or 310 be better. I am looking for street/strip setup, will a 308 or 310 be bad for a daily driver. Just looking at my options.

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly the cubic inches really dont have much of an effect on drivablity, its just the fact that with boreing the 302 block out more and more, 308 and up, youll have thinner cylinder walls, which would be bad if you run some type of FI. Also some people say engine bay temp's go up with thinner cylinder walls.

Thanks for the info, I've been thinking of going with 306, I know for a fact I going to put new heads on the motor (302) even if I dont go with 306. Right now I have stock gt-40 with 1.72 rockers. I am going with trickflow tw, should I go with 1.7 or 1.6 rockers. Current cam is steeda 19, .516 lift with 1.72 rockers...

If you can get a 302, get a 302. The reason for having a 306, 308 really is because it's a rebuilt motor and the cyclinders were bored out to get "new" cyclinder walls. A 306 isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you won't pick up much more hp from 4 cubes and - as stated - your cyclinder walls are thinner.

Huh? :shrug:

It sounds like you would want a 351 based power plant or a 302-based stroker. As everyone said, the slight displacement increase is a necessary means to rebuild (most of the time - some can hone cylinders and be alright).

good luck.

94indy said:
Thanks for the info, I've been thinking of going with 306, I know for a fact I going to put new heads on the motor (302) even if I dont go with 306. Right now I have stock gt-40 with 1.72 rockers. I am going with trickflow tw, should I go with 1.7 or 1.6 rockers. Current cam is steeda 19, .516 lift with 1.72 rockers...
Don't know what kind of budget you have but the gt-40's aren't bad heads and why replace the 1.72's w/ 1.7's? That's going backwards. I'm assuming you have a cobra if the stock heads are gt40?

yeah, I have a cobra. Reason for the change in rockers is because I am going to trickflow heads which ,as you probably know, are stub mounted instead of ped. I was talking to a guy and he suggested going to a 1.6 instead of using 1.7. I was just curious what other people thought. I like getting as much info as I can before doing diff. stuff. I know the 1.6 will lower my lift, but he said it would be good to go the 1.6 in case I ever wanted to go with a little bigger cam. Right now I have a steeda 19, which I like cause of the 94-95 computer. Plus I dont think there will be much of a power diff. in the 1.6 vs 1.7 that I could tell since I will be running a better head anyway. But I am always up for good advice.

HISSIN50 said:
Huh? :shrug:

It sounds like you would want a 351 based power plant or a 302-based stroker. As everyone said, the slight displacement increase is a necessary means to rebuild (most of the time - some can hone cylinders and be alright).

good luck.

I would like to get I 351 shortblock, but still trying to figure out what I could use from my motor and what I'd have to get. I know lower intake would have to be replaced, but what else? As far as budget goes, 3000-3500.

Sounds good bud. You kinda lost me on your original post, so apologies if I came across rude in my first post. :cheers:

I have not done the swap myself, but here is some info that might help with it. A 331 or 347 is pretty mean too. Then there is the 460. :p

Good luck with deciding upon which route to go. :nice: