308 with AFR 185's

BaBysARM

Founding Member
May 9, 2002
Hickory, NC
i have srp forged pistons and X-cam 1/6 rr ...... i have read the posts and most people like the 165's for my setup. but is it going to be a difference between 5 or 50 hp.?

Well guys what do you think ...is this why my car is so slow. or is it the tune

• Sponsors (?)

The AFR 185 heads are not hurting you. It is just a mismatch of parts. Mainly the camshaft...

What kind of track times and dyno numbers do you have?

Sometimes it is the driver...

What rpm you shifting at? Timing? Fuel pressure?

Im in the same situation as you. I have a set of AFR 185's on my 351W but I have a cobra intake (extruded/honed) but its still choking the potential air flow of the AFR's. I know the engine is huffing for air at the end of track runs b/c the Cobra intake just wont produce power as far in the RPM range as the AFR's do. It does not matter which set of heads you have on the car if your cam and intake selection do not match it. Im getting a Trick flow R intake to fix the problem.

I would call Ed and order a custom cam and those heads flow like 270 cfm, you need an intake that flows as much or close to those heads, holley systemax 2 or a fully ported upper lower edelbrock performer rpm by T- Moss would be sweet.
oh and 4:10 gears and a tune, now you got a whole different beast :D
just my 2 cents........

The cobra intake, especially extrude honed, can keep up, if not outperform many aftermarket intakes right up to 6200rpm. So if your rpm range is around there, I wouldn't worry about the intake. Hell, even if you want to upgrade to a better flowing intake, why not get the bread box on that gt40 and call it a day?

Cam would be the first thing I would worry about. That is the most critical part of an engine, it's even been reffered to as the brain of the engine. My cam is set up with a shift point of 6400 rpm's, and this is with my long runner cobra intake. It'll be higher once I install my bread box on there.

The injectors are fine.

Good read....

http://www.tmossporting.com/tabid/3451/Default.aspx

I agree with 95 vert the injectors are more than fine, always better to have bigger than too small, those heads are not the problem, the cam is probably way mismatched for those heads and the intake as it sits int the best choice, a ported lower gt-40 and box upper would do good, as well as one of the larger aftermarket manifolds such as the trick flow track heat, or holley. I'd think the cam and springs are the biggest problems as of the moment. Just my opinion.