30mpg in the stang, possible?

I'm glad to see the capabilities also but honestly I really don't care how much gas costs me anymore.... I'm not rich, I'm a working man. What I'm getting at is I won't let the cost of a gallon of gas interrupt my fun.

So did anyone find anything negative long term using the acetone?

• Sponsors (?)

Disconnect the EGR, all it does is recirculate exhaust into the intake to reduce combustion temps. It decreases engine effiency in the process of reducing certain types of emissions. Also, if you want to build for mileage, use as high of a compression ratio as possible, advanced ignition timing, less fuel pressure/injector pulse width, less overlap/duration on the cam, and wax your car so it has less air resistance.

vikingpower said:
Disconnect the EGR, all it does is recirculate exhaust into the intake to reduce combustion temps. It decreases engine effiency in the process of reducing certain types of emissions. Also, if you want to build for mileage, use as high of a compression ratio as possible, advanced ignition timing, less fuel pressure/injector pulse width, less overlap/duration on the cam, and wax your car so it has less air resistance.
ummmmmmmmmm no.

speed1972 said:
So did anyone find anything negative long term using the acetone?

I talked to my AP chem teacher today about it, and he says that what they have on the website listed above is mostly correct. If acetone does hurt anything, it won't be in the fuel lines. Gasoline is far more corrosive than acetone. As far as emissions goes, I doubt it. When you burn CH3COCH3, You'll get 3 C02 + H20. However nothing is 100%efficient so like gasoline you will get CO's CHx's, NOx's etc. Next if it adds power, maybe. There are not near the bonds as to there are in gasoline(gasoline has compound from CH4 to C12H26 and more. Usualy the average is C8H18...octane), therefor less potential power. Two exaples: Ethanol (CH3CHOH)... only 4single bonds and 1 double. Not much potential heat/power. Methane (CH4)...4 single bonds... makes less heat than butane(C2H6) 6singles...which makes less than propane(C3H8)8singles. Now Acetone (CH3COCH3) 5 single, 1 double - not much energy there(But hey better than ethanol). However! The small amount of acetone should not effect power in this way at all. As far as acetone breaking the "skin of the gas" that is true, therefore allowing better vaporization and then more power and milage.

So better milage, maybe, more power - maybe, Emissions - no.
It should not hurt anything in your car any worse than gas so why not try anyways?

vikingpower said:

We just had a thread on this a little while ago. I think it was titled "Confused on EGR"?
Long story short EGR improves economy and NOx emissions without affecting WOT power.

You can get acetone at lowes, home depot, pep boys, etc. I think it's 3 or four dollars a quart. Let's see, at $4 per quart for acetone, each tankfull will cost you an additional $.75. At $2.30 a gallon for gas, I figure it would pay for itself if your mileage increased even the slightest amount. I've run a couple of tankfulls of gas through my 5.0 using 3 oz. of acetone per tank. My mileage has increased 3-4 mpg with the acteone. I'd say the $.75 of acetone is saving me $3-4 each fill up. I'm not advocating it. Just speaking the truth here. Do what 'cha want. I'm still making up my own mind about it.

I have alot of family that live in the north georgia mountains so naturally I drive up there quite often. ive got an 89 gt, engine lightly modded and 3.73 gears. I get about 24 on the highway until i get into the mountains. once I get in the mountains my gas mileage goes up. the highest ive gotten is 32, and lowest is 30. now im very easy on the car on trips, and fairly easy around town. so that is part of the reason im sure. it took me the longest time to figure out what was causing such a huge difference. (and im no talking about highways in the mountains, im talking about low speed limit uphill downhil roads) I think its because of the air temperature and density in the mountains. so heres what you do. replace your intercooler with a minifridge (can be stolen from most hotels). this should give you a good increase in mileage.

We all complain about the cost of gas... Here is what you do... There are 2 ideas to this thread. In the long run it will save us all money!!

WHERE TO BUY YOUR GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON--

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It
might even be good for us!

The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor. An
interesting thought is to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up the
car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia.
Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the
tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family,
and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are
the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern
oil :

Shell................. 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil........... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway...... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco................... 62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Citgo....................0 barrels
Sunoco...................0 barrels
Conoco...................0 barrels
Sinclair.................0 barrels
BP/Phillips..............0 barrels
Hess.....................0 barrels
ARC0.................... 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each
is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are
importing.

LET'S START A GAS WAR!

I think we'd all like to save a little money and this might just be one way to do it. There is power in numbers!

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a gallon by the summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently

$2.09 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost! of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

HERE'S THE IDEA:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If you have the option, don't buy from any of the aforementioned companies that purchase oil from middle eastern (OPEC) countries. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and ! pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

speed 1972
"Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends."

I haven't heard any thing this ignorant or hateful in along time. Thanks for the happy thoughts!!!

I can't even read the rest of that post.

Hey, I'm confused on those list of sellers. Most of my BP stations still have a lot of Amoco equipment (Amoco written on the pumps, etc). I had thought they merged, so they're completely separate?

Good thing is, I only buy BP.

I believe you are correct. I took that information from another source which is incorrect. I would add BP to that top list. I'm going with Hess myself. We have them all over here although I really like the octane rating of the BP gas. My car runs so well with it...

The target of the post was, don't buy gas from exxon/mobil and they will suffer.....

OL' WHITEY said:
You can get acetone at lowes, home depot, pep boys, etc. I think it's 3 or four dollars a quart. Let's see, at $4 per quart for acetone, each tankfull will cost you an additional $.75. At $2.30 a gallon for gas, I figure it would pay for itself if your mileage increased even the slightest amount. I've run a couple of tankfulls of gas through my 5.0 using 3 oz. of acetone per tank. My mileage has increased 3-4 mpg with the acteone. I'd say the $.75 of acetone is saving me $3-4 each fill up. I'm not advocating it. Just speaking the truth here. Do what 'cha want. I'm still making up my own mind about it.

Is this an Automotive fuel additive or are you buying acetone that is packaged as a solvent? I may try it in my 2.3L '87. Not a chance I'm gonna dump it in the stroker motor! Not yet anyway.

I have to wonder what the downside is. If acetone is so inexpensive, and improves fuel economy why is it not added to all fuels. The automanufacturers would convince the oil companies to do this if money could be saved.

Too bad that around here Shell and Texaco are the only good fuels. I have had problems with others. I don't like the high cost of fuel either, but we still have very low fuel prices when compared to the rest of the world. I have heard of European countries paying over $10.00 a gallon.