31 spline axles

Grn92LX

Fidanza Man!
Founding Member
Jan 14, 2001
New York
What brands are you guys using and how are they? Are they a direct fit with a 31 spline posi? I'm just doing a little research on my next big plans. I'm planning on 4.30 gears, ford racing 31 spline posi, 31 splien axles all new bearings and seals and maybe a girdle.

• Sponsors (?)

Cool. I will look into them. Do I need wheel studs too? What kind do i need? I run 16" pony wheels and eventually i'll be running an et street or an et street drag radial.

Btw, sweet combo, Stangnut, that will run hard! How high you gonna spin too? MInd sharing your cam specs with me? I'm curious how they compare to mine? PM me, don't post it on here.

i has Moser's but then i decided to sell them and opt for 5 lugs while im doing it. I went to my speed shop and the guy we deal with who has a 8 sec. pickup ( soon to be mid 7s :) said to get Superiors. i did and OMG SOOO buil and u can just tell the machine work is SOOOOOOO much nicer. Superior ALL the way! You will NOT regret it :)

I have 31 spline Superiors in mine, along with an Eaton Posi and a TA cover. I"m very happy with my set-up. The Superior axles are nice pieces, and they are a little cheaper then Moser. My axles came as a kit with studs, seals, bearings, and the shafts

Im sure the setup you have bimmertech would be fine for awhile but for what he wants to do with it i dont know if that will hold up too long. As for a carrier Dont go with Auburn or Eaton or any other clutch type BULL****. DETROIT LOCKER OWNS ALL!!!!!!! I got one, 3.73's and 5 lug superior axles, install kit, and 3 quarts of Redline oil waiting to go in this winter, im sure i will ove it. just need to get some drums until i get the dough to go disc. Hey im only 16, LOL. But like i mentioned before man, Superior axles. Go to your speed shop and have a ook at some for yourself anf you will see. Also as mentioned abopve, Strange makes some KILLER stuff. Im sure either one would very well please you. Good luck man!

P.S. your car is SICK!!!!!!! Do you think you could please send me some pics? I would really appreciate it if you could. My Email is [email protected] and im on AIM also: Fstmstng93 Thanks A Lot ;)

the frpp axles i think are made by moser.

i went with strange 31sp S/S. afaik, strange doesn't make a c-clip axle in 31sp for 8.8 in a FOX. it doesn't matter to me having to go to eliminators, but take it into consideration. supposedly the strange bearings for the elims are tapered or something compare to others, and they say it is better for the street. mine came with these long screw in studs might even be 3" or so. they fit under my pony wheel caps, so i'm happy. i don't reccomend an auburn, and i haven't had any probs out of my eaton. otherwise i would have gone with a locker prob.

Oh yea i got a Moser Rear End cover. Its nice cuse it has main cap Hold downs which actually reduce the twisting motion that are put on them when you launce which in turn strengthens the rear :nice:

Mike92GT said:
I have 31 spline Superiors in mine, along with an Eaton Posi and a TA cover. I"m very happy with my set-up. The Superior axles are nice pieces, and they are a little cheaper then Moser. My axles came as a kit with studs, seals, bearings, and the shafts

:stupid:
Except I used an Auburn LS and a different cover (I think?). My stuff came as a kit as well. Really good package actually
http://www.drivetraindirect.com/
I ordered from these guys.

I snapped a superior like a pretzel in my 02 GT , I replaced it with Ford axles but would recommend strange even over those .....and Eaton is the only way to go on the Diff itself , 2 friends of mine broke auburns in one weekend lol ...they are crap .....trak locs are good for the price ....

I've got the 4.30 gears, Detroit Locker No-Spin unit, Superior 31 spline axles and a SUMMIT aluminum rear girdle cover. They've been in since April of '04 (approximately 12,000 miles) and about 20 trips down the track without a problem yet.

Mike go with a 9" bearing end *they make them for the stock 8.8 brakes or any aftermarket brake set-up* and you won't have to worry about a leaking c-clip elim. On high HP cars the axle tends to break right behind the limiters :eek:

I have Moser stuff for mine, but the Strange is also very nice you can't miss and match the splines are slightly different. If you want all out get a spool, if not the Eaton is hard to beat and is rebuildable, Mark Williams always has them on sale.

You'll need long studs to be legal.... You can also have the axles gun drilled and lightened if you want ;) saved me over 7.5 per side over a 31 spline axle, and mine are 33's, titanium studs and lug nuts will save you another 1.5 pounds per side, you can have the ring gear lightened for another 5-7 pounds.

Mark, how's life treating been a long time.......

mike, pretty much any company is gonna have the 31s for ya. shop around, get your best price.
did i miss it or are you doing a rebuild of the diff or swapping ones? I see that Rick mentioned an Eaton, very nice option (i will have one in my car in the spring!).

OT: rick, is it worth having the axles gun drilled on a normal car? how much does it cost?

Nate it is not needed but it has it benfits, I was always told a gun drilled 33 is stronger then a straight 35. I think I paid $175 to have it done. See my thread in talk ;)

Mike I know Moser and Strange dealers....and Mark Williams is unbeatable on the Eatons.

Mark, how's life treating been a long time.......

Hey Rick. As you can tell, I have not been on here and in contact with people near as much. My daughter has come down with an illness that she's been fighting since ~Easter time, so that's where alot of my time has been going. There's too many things that it could be, so the doctor's don't really know what it is, but it's something neurological.

A while ago I installed some Competition Engeneering adjustable rear shocks and haven't been able to really test them to see if they help with my 60's. Can you beleive it, I haven't even been to the track this year at all. I'm hoping to go to Cecil this weekend though.

axeman said:
Hey Rick. As you can tell, I have not been on here and in contact with people near as much. My daughter has come down with an illness that she's been fighting since ~Easter time, so that's where alot of my time has been going. There's too many things that it could be, so the doctor's don't really know what it is, but it's something neurological.

A while ago I installed some Competition Engeneering adjustable rear shocks and haven't been able to really test them to see if they help with my 60's. Can you beleive it, I haven't even been to the track this year at all. I'm hoping to go to Cecil this weekend though.

WOW..sorry to hear that Mark, good luck to you and your family I can;t imagine how that feels. Stay in touch [email protected]