31 spline carrier unit from explorer?

D347643

Banned
Jan 28, 2003
portland, OR
i need to beef up the rear in my car and i was wondering if those 30 spline limited slip units from f150's and explorers are any good? I just got a s/c and i need something stronger for street. Plus i can get the unit for cheap.

:shrug:

Drew

• Sponsors (?)

all 95 explorers and 97 up mountaineers have 31 spline carriers. The carrier bearing caps have been know to blow out under high torque applications, like built V8's, they need a harness to be truly reliable.

JadeFalcon said:
all 95 explorers and 97 up mountaineers have 31 spline carriers. The carrier bearing caps have been know to blow out under high torque applications, like built V8's, they need a harness to be truly reliable.

I am really surprised -- I had no idea. Does this apply to Rangers as well -- it would seem more plausible in a Ranger than an SUV. :shrug:

The rangers never needed anything beyond a 28 spline carrier. You must remember explorers are nearly twice the weight, and they optioned with 302's throughout the generation, so they made the 31 spline carrier factory.... However.. I've heard stories hear and there about snapping those carriers, possibly because they are not as strong grade as the mustang carriers, I'm not sure.