31 vs 28 axles and a few questions

I am considering changing over to 31 spline axles as I am changing axles. I currently have lincoln axles 28 spline with an auburn locker, and FMS 3:55s. The reason I am changing is bacause the current axles are to long ( thanks to the guy who last had the car). And it has a whinning noise I can't get rid of?

Besides axles what would I need to change, just the locker or is there more??? Gears???

I don't go to the track but once every other year or so, maybe at a Ford Fun Weekend. Mostly just for show and fun to drive, not a Daily Driver.

As I say this I am redoing some engine mods and look to get 400 horses on the motor, so nothing extreme. Should I upgrade?

• Sponsors (?)

If you are not planning on 3,000 - 5,000RPM launches at the drag strip there probably isn't too much need to upgrade to the 31 spline units.

To save yourself trouble, just get some quality 28T axles from a good vendor. The materials and processes that the aftermarket companies use result in a stronger piece than the stock style axle but still retain the correct teeth.