315/35/17" on a V6-good or bad idea ?????

b52yellow

Jun 28, 2005
Camarillo CA
I have been thinking about getting the SUMITOMO 315/35/17x10.5" rear, 275/40/17x9" front, w/Bullitt Black Deep dish rims for my Yellow Stang.......Looks, looks looks

It has about 72000 miles and was thinking of selling it but decided to keep it and upgrade to a GT and supercharge it w/VORTECH SQ next summer and still keep this one.
Would that be a good Idea or too much "TIRE" for a V6 although when I get the GT I plan to use the Rims and Tires on that one and keep the V6 Stock rims ??? I guess it`s not that bad since the tires are only 30lbs and the wheels I think about 25lbs.

So please if someone has any pics of the 315`s I`d like to see how it looks and is it sticking out of the Fender ?????? Let me know what you all think

• Sponsors (?)

+1 sumitomos = piitb

315's are a good idea but do you need tires that wide? They'll look good fo'sho but unless you're making alot of power (240rwhp+) you may not need tires that wide... 285 - 305 would be a good choice if you're just going to beuseing them for show & have minimal modds.

tomustang said:
Don't buy the sumitomo's, worst tire i have EVER owned.

I had someone GIVE me a set of them to burn off with my '95 Cobra (when I had it). The damned things wouldn't even squeal--they just hissed and had a pale purple smoke. It didn't even smell like normal rubber burning; more like some schwag rubber.
Sumitomo = grind 'em up and use them as track surface for the Olympics.

My 2 cents.

I would get 295 or 315 if your getting the 10.5 in the back. 275's look stretched. I have the Fusion 275 in the back and I can't wait to take them off and get the nitto 555 315's in the back. They look pimp!

I think the 275 might be too big up front 255 are fine.

275's won't be able to fit on a 10.5" rim anyway.

305's or higher is what you'll need, I have 10" in the rear with 285's and there barely on there... (stupid goodyear people told me 305's wont fit :bs: ) so when these were out i'm getting 305's or 315's

Thanx to all for the posts, I am gonna go w/the 315`s in the back (GOING FOR THE LOOKS FOR NOW ) don`t care if I loose some power, what a heck I am gonna be getting a GT by next Summer so it would be a good addition to that one too........

Thanx, COME AAAAAN DO IT < DO IT NOOOOOOWWWW.......

Ernad said:
Or you could save that money, put it in a short-term CD and use it as downpayment on the GT :shrug:

Trust me, Bullit wheels will still be around then. ;)

It might be a good Idea ERNAD , but only if I had $15-20K I could get like 3-4 % which is about $600-800 in a year.....good thinking but not enough cash ,now if they were paying about 10% ROR(like the Mutual Funds) that might`ve been different........

I say WHY WAIT --When I can make the vehicle look "NICER" it`s more pleasure then having the money in my Bank account ?????????

275's won't be able to fit on a 10.5" rim anyway.

305's or higher is what you'll need, I have 10" in the rear with 285's and there barely on there... (stupid goodyear people told me 305's wont fit ) so when these were out i'm getting 305's or 315's

No,actually even 275/40/17 would fit. Technically, if they made a 266 that would be the smallest you would need. All you have to do is x by 25.4 so
(10.5 x 25.4) = 266. yes it would fit. :owned: lol