331 and 347 timeslips

Travis77

Oct 1, 2004
Baytown, TX
Wondering what some of your et's are. Debating on whether or not to bother with an aftermarket 302 block. My goals are 12.0 and it must be super streetable and be able to run very long distances without overheating. Several people have said that would be easy with either motor. I have thought of doing a turbo build, but do not know if it's needed. Also do not know if I want to deal with the added heat, and trouble keeping it tuned. If it is needed its going to be hard to justify all the money along with the hassle of (rollerizing) an aftermarket block versus going to 351W. That was my original route, but already went through several roller 351 blocks and all sonic tested bad. Sorry to sound so scatter brained but please need some {experienced advice} By the way it will be efi and going in a 67 fastback.Have not decided on what tranny, but do have a 9 inch with 3:50 gear.

• Sponsors (?)

You might have to answer a few questions first.

It all really depends on what you consider "super streetable" and how much you set up your car for the track.

Some feel skinny front tires and MT ET Streets are "super streetable", same with drag springs and shocks. Some people do not. Larger camshafts fall into this same category. "Streetable"???

Are you planning on bolting on slicks when you go to the track? Or are you wanting to ust drive out there on street tires and drive down the track?

It also depends on the weight of your car and your driving style.

How much street driving vs track driving will you be doing? 80%/20%???

Your goals are not too far fetched and can be achieved but in order to get what you want and be happy with it these things have to be answered.

stroker question

Plan on 80% street and 20% track use. I plan on keeping my street tires on at the track if 315 or 335 would be enough to grip. I plan on having a/c and power steering. I have the opportunity to buy a 418 with sportsman block, hyd roller cam, injectors, fast efi, hogan intake, sheetmetal valve covers, and march pullies. This also comes with a Richmond 6 spd for 11K. The combo was on ebay a little while back and was on the cover of Mustang and Fast Fords last year. Anyway, this a little hard to decide on. I asked an engine builder how much I'll have in motor alone and he said around 6-7K and thats with a factory block. You add up painless harness,intakes, etc., tranny, and it really isn't too bad. But if I don't need a 351 stroker I simply do not need it. I would love to go with a 331 with AFR's and atleast bust off 12.5's, but I really want 12.0.

That is a good deal for that combo and it will provide a lot of power. Depending on the exact parts, compression ratio etc it may not be Super Streetable though....

The power diffference of a 331 vs a 347 is very little. The 331 does yeild a little lower compression ratios with a shelf piston however.

strokers

Thanks for the reply. Actually the combo I was looking at only had a 234/240 with 112 Ls. It was very streetable but probably has too much torch to hook up with, unless I did not use the 6 spd and went with an auto. I've got the dyno sheets, made max power of 450 and torque 466 at less than 5500 rpm. Anyway, thanks for the replies.