331 Build, running into problems.

I purchased a 331 from Coast and I have run into a few problems in the assembly process.

First issue is the oil pan bolt holes are not lining up properly. Fits fine on my original block but the stroker bolt holes are off by about 1/8". The original block has a "XXX" stamped in the lifter valley and the stroker has a "YYY" stamped in the vally, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Also once we put the timing chain and gears on we noticed the chain is toucing the lower block. Is there a shim I can buy to pull this out or do I need to buy a new timing set to go with this block?

Oh, yea... the head gaskets, how to they get installed? In other words which water jackets get blocked on which sides?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

the block casting numbers are on i think the passenger side near the bellhousing. If not that side try the other. As far the head gaskets the front passages get blocked.

As far as the timing chain goes..there was another post of someone with the same problem , I thought it was that he put he crank gear on backwards...but it turned out crane timing chain set did not have a long enough snout clear the block/timing chain mating surface..

the poster ended up using a FRPP double roller which worked just fine..

do a search on it..he had a bunch of pics of it..

Theres an early and a late style timing chain set. One of them needs to have an edge to push the cam gear out. I am not sure what years that is, but I ran into the same problem on a non-roller block, so I would assume its the same thing, just backwards from me.