331 build?

cobra dave

Sep 1, 2003
I'm looking to build a 331 in the (hopefully) near future and am wondering from the fellas with the 31's and 47's what kind of money am i looking at for the build (ballpark). I'll be using my stock block probobly with a chp pro kit. The kit is around $1300 alone i'll have it around 9 to 9.5.1 compression but as far as machine work i have no clue $. Also what type of power numbers are you guys averaging? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Really, it could go between 1500.00 to about 4500.00 for the shortblock depending on what you want. When you get into forged cranks, good quality rods/pistons/ internal balance, you get into some big bucks. The shortblock I'm running now is a Scat cast crank, Scat H-beams, 28 oz balance, SRP pistons, and even though they aren't top of the line parts, it's held up well. See horsepower numbers below. It's actually making a little more power now since I chased down a distributor advance problem. I've refreshed the shortblock a few times but it has about 5 race seasons on it plus some street time.

My stock block cost a few hundred to machine, and the kit balanced and blueprinted from dss cost me 2400..I already had the heads intake and blower..the kit consisted of:

331 stroker crank
Forged H beam rods
Forged JE dish pistons for TW heads
SFI balancer + flywheel
Piston rings
Balanced

sirsureshot39 said:
My stock block cost a few hundred to machine, and the kit balanced and blueprinted from dss cost me 2400..I already had the heads intake and blower..the kit consisted of:

331 stroker crank
Forged H beam rods
Forged JE dish pistons for TW heads
SFI balancer + flywheel
Piston rings
Balanced

Thats got to be a typo. $2400 for JUST a rotating assembly and having it balanced? :eek: Even including the balancer and flywheel it still doesnt add up. The shop thats gonna do my planned 347 is charging $2200 for a full complete shortblock, ALL machine work with a girdle, oil pump, shaft and rear main seal installed. Thats with a cast crank though which is about $300 less. Way to heavy and overkill for my stock block planned set up.

Just wondering, did they need your clutch to be balanced along with the rotating assembly too??

Mike

I got my kit from keith kraft. it was just the economy version (which i wish i would have went for the higher one), but i like it. i think that it was like $2200 for the 331 with a cam of choice. I also got the balancer at a good $---i told him i would only get it for like 1/2 price, and if he wanted to sell it to me for tthat, i'd take it....surprisingly...he did.

no dyno #s or tracking times (well, with traction) yet.

It looks like DSS is a crowd favorite. I was leaning more towards them myself or an X2C shortblock. I've also heard CHP has excellent kits and shortblcks. I Know CHP has a damn good kit with probe forged pistons, 4340 forged rods4340 forged crank, plasma moly rings ans cl77 rod and main bearings for around 1300.