331 ... 'E' cam

331 ... 'E' cam, help!

I've posted this a couple of times b4 with limited response. So please help me out.

I'm curious if anyone has run a 331 with the E cam ... and whether or not the cam still provides that nice lope at idle compared to the smaller stroke 306 :shrug: I'm just about to put the combo together and will spend the extra money if needed on a cam.

Here's the parts list: dss331 ~ AFR165 (61cc) ~ E cam ~ GT40 intake ~ 70mm tb ~ ProM 75mm ~ 24# ~ 190lph ~ afpr ~ BBK cai ~ BBK long tubes ~1.6 rockers totaling 9.2:1 compression ....

Please help me out, those of you who know or have seen or have heard this similar combo :(

• Sponsors (?)

It will have a little bit less lope. The bigger then engine the less exagerated lope is to a certain point. Larger displacements are more tolerant of "lumpy" cams. It'll be a great runner with plenty of torque with that cam.

I hear ya. I have a B303 in my 90 GT with E7TE's (stock, not ported), MAC 1 5/8" equal length shorties and MAC 2.5"Catalytic H-pipe, and MAC 2.5" inch Cat-back. Sounds good, but sounded better when I had the MAC 2.5" Pro-Chamber. :D

Best sounding small block I ever heard was a 357W my friend had. It was a 68 Mustang 2+2 and it had a Comp Cams 292 cam. .518" lift with 1.6:1 rockers and 244 degrees duration at .050". Sounded MEAN...real mean. I commited the specs to memory becasue they were so sweetsounding int he engine. May not make the most power, but the car went 103 mph in the 1/4 with 2.80 gears, one wheel peeling and didn't use 3rd gear (it was a C4). Was impressive. He had to sell the car before it was totally finished. But it ran awesome.

EdIT: with your combo I'd look at the Comp Cams HR series.

89CopCoupe said:
No one in here has run an E cam in a 331??

Some guy posts some basic-tech 101 about his stupid alternator not charging and gets a thousand replies ... wtf :shrug: :nonono:

Of course not, cuz an E-303 cam is for a 302, not a 331. Look into cams cuts specifially for a 331 and youll be a lot happer. If your concerned about emissions then stick with your stock 302. You wont have any problem passing emmisions with a good tune, a 550*lift cam and all your smog stuff + cats.Call Anderson Ford Motorsport, they'll be sure to help you out, I promise.

www.andersonfordmotorsport.com

Well, my other parts are best suited for a 302/6, but I bought the 331 for the extra boost in the torque department (street car). :nice:

I like the chunky idle characteristics of the E in a 302/6 so I thought I'd see if anyone knew/had one in the 331 and if it adversely mellowed the lope out :shrug:

I know theoretically/factually it will not lope as hard, but was hoping to find out by what degree it is reduced .... I know someone somewhere has mated the two, and I'd love to hear from that guy(s) .... a sound/video clip would be nice to comfort my troubled mind. :bang: :(

Edit: I spend most of my time going from stoplights on light pedal jaunts to 3500 r's, then a shift ... if it was a track car, I'd be going in a completely different direction with my h/c/i combo.