331 or 347?

• Sponsors (?)

The difference in the two engines is the crankshaft stroke. 331 has a 3.250" stroke and the 347 has a 3.400" stroke. They can both use either the 5.315" or the 5.400" rods provided the have the proper piston compression heights.

As far as trick flow or AFR's go? Depends what you want? More low end TQ or high end HP? I was told that the trick flows are better low end power then the AFR's? As far as a stroker goes, why not do a 351? I seen a kit for a 408 stroker (351w) and for about $100 less was a 347. My combo will be so far a 408 with 225 heads and depending on the cam and carb should be around 450 at the wheels! peace

john:p

going 351 based there may be some fitment issues with the higher deck height. Not a big deal but that all depends if you want to dive into that.

you will not get the most out of a 331 or 347 if you go with stock heads and intake. If you want to go stock stick with a 302/306 for now til you get the funds for better heads and intake. Even TFS or AFR heads on properly complimenting combination with yield good power in a 306. If you went 331/347 your torque will be better. Keep in mind there are other parts tha may need to be replaced with the bigger displacement. Injectors, MAF, throttle body. Worth it though.:nice:

SMOKEDYA said:
As far as trick flow or AFR's go? Depends what you want? More low end TQ or high end HP? I was told that the trick flows are better low end power then the AFR's?
john:p

AFR's are better across the board. There is no reason not to go to them..

FoxBodyGT said:
they are both quality heads, but from what I hear, the AFR springs arent' the best and it is rec'd that you replace them. Canfield Heads set up correctly may be a better value.
Yea canfield is a great head, you can get a stage 2 ported canfield for around $1400 that would sit great on top of your 331-347

Why would he go with a 306? Go with a 331 or 347 and enjoy some extra horsepower with the stock heads. Than when you have the funds go with a better set of heads and wake that motor right up. I'd personally go with a 331 just for my own reasons but the choice is up to you, either will make more power than a 302 or 306.

Blk91stang said:
Why would he go with a 306? Go with a 331 or 347 and enjoy some extra horsepower with the stock heads. Than when you have the funds go with a better set of heads and wake that motor right up. I'd personally go with a 331 just for my own reasons but the choice is up to you, either will make more power than a 302 or 306.
i built my 331 with the intentions of putting afrs on but i ran the stock heads for awhile and enjoyed decent power! Then i put my fully ported/valve jobed, c9 heads on and i have ran 12.32 all motor and on a 150 shot i ran 11.45 with a trap of nearly 126mph blowing the tires off. So it just goes to show that you do not need THE BEST heads to get a stroker to run. Would my car run better with a set of afr 205s? or canfields? OF COURSE IT WOULD! Can i afford it? HELL NO! im trying to get through college while having some car fun. Do what upgrades you can and listen to some of the more experienced ones on this site but do not let anyone tell you how to build your car! You have your own budget to work around so build it around that, be different! And in the end the car does what it does

I bet you will make more power with a nice h/c/i setup than going with just a stroker bottomend. It will really increase your volumetric efficiency...rather than "hurt" it. Now if your bottom end is in need of a rebuild, go with the stroked bottomend.

Both make similar numbers...