331 parts list

InitialB

Aug 26, 2004
Connecticut
I am currently researching the DSS pro bullet 331 block I want to put it in my 88 GT but I am trying to get the financial side of it in order and thats why I was hoping someone could give me a rough parts list of what I need to be able to drop this motor in and turn the key. I just want to know what I am looking at after I spend the 2600 on the block. I would really appreciate any help :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

Well first off you can look at better places for a shortblock and for less money. Rick 91GT on here builds motors and not mass produced rushed motors like big companies. You should look into a 347 too, 16 more cubes for the same price as a 331.

Now, you'll need all gaskets, bolts, motor mounts, clutch, rockers pushrods (gotta measure what length you need) Do you have an engine hoist? I sugest pulling your old motor and trans at the same time and putting it back in the same way.

Any more questions just ask.

InitialB said:
I am currently researching the DSS pro bullet 331 block I want to put it in my 88 GT but I am trying to get the financial side of it in order and thats why I was hoping someone could give me a rough parts list of what I need to be able to drop this motor in and turn the key. I just want to know what I am looking at after I spend the 2600 on the block. I would really appreciate any help :hail2:

Good Choice with the 331 :nice:

Now it is going to get just as pricey on the top end parts most likely...because you will need a cam ($130-$325), higher flowing aluminum heads ($1100-1600 by the time you add springs), intake ($500-600), injectors & MAF ($400), various gaskets/bolts ($200), and it would be good to go ahead and get some exhaust (headers) to go with it so plan another $400 or so...those are the bigger parts of it all.

I would get 30lb injectors with a 80mm Pro-M MAF and a 70mm TB ($200) with 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 (if your going for that extra higher end power) longtube headers and matching midpipe.

You will want new head bolts...and here is the head bolts I used for my AFR's - ARP-154-3601.

Here is a couple part numbers for lower intake bolts...

Lower Intake bolts – (hex) SUM-G1579HS (thru summitracing)
Lower intake bolts: arp-154-2001

You will want a clutch that can handle the power...like a Centerforce Dual Friction or something similar ($300).

And you will obviously need oil...and you might try Autolite 3924's (spark plugs) gapped at .040 if you got a bit higher compression (running N/A)...

Good Luck :nice:

u will also need a new flywheel and balancer that is balanced to your rotating assembly which will prolly be a 28oz unit. one more thing we forgot to mention is youl need a bigger fuel pump. i went with a walbro 255 and it works great. i have an extra 28oz balancer with a proper length spacer for it so if u need it, then u can let me no.