331 stroker q's

fiveohGT

Jun 22, 2004
Fairfax Virginia
I plan on running a 331 cui block with forged internals. What are your opinions on if i should use my stock block, or if i should buy a new stronger block fully assembled from chp or dss? Which option would be cheaper because i would have to have a shop do it all for me?

What head/cam/intake combination should i use if i am going with low compression pistons and eventually plan on running a supercharger?

I was thinking TFS track heat heads, TFS R-series intake, E303 cam? Is this a decent setup or would AFR out perform? I could probably go with a rougher idel too.

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on your HP goals. If your lookin at 450+ HP your running on borrowed time as far as the block goes. Go ahead and get a different block and do it right. You'll thank yourself later. If you plan on having less than that go with cast internals. It's damn hard to break cranks. Even cheap ones will last 6 or 7 nites at the roundy round races and they put extreme amounts of stress on those engines for minutes not seconds. As far as the upper end goes I need more info. Any of the heads you mentioned would be good choices. I personally would stay away from the alphabet cams.

Good Luck

Mike

If using a stock block there's no need for forged internals but if you're getting forged for a power adder down the road you might want to consider a better block. If you're plans are for just a stroker and that's it then save your money and get a cast kit.

The setup you listed is a mistmatch of parts, if you go with Trick Flow stuff get Track heats, Track Heat intake and another cam (personally I would run TFS-1 over E303). The E303 is too small for a 331ci motor, you need something larger and unfortunately there is nothing off shelf I would use. If you determined to skimp on cam then consider either the X or F cam.

AFR185's, RPM intake and cam with 0.05" durations @ 228/232 will be one fun & fast stroker.

I talked to Coast HP on a 331. (check sig for current mods). I planned to use my current mods on a 331 (10.2:1 compression) and they advised me to go with the TFS track intake and the TFS stage 2 cam (224/232) and I should/would get around 350-375 RWHP. This is my DD and I do not want a Power adder...just reliability, longivity, and fun. (yes... I know I am asking for conflicting results). Have to decide soon... sitting at 199,480 miles and climbing. (still only burns 1/4 qt of oil for 3000 miles)

I agree with 90notch on the cam choice. the TFS 1 (more likely the TFS2) will work better. that 331 is gonna need a nice cam like that. You can match it to some nice TFS track heat heads and you will be good to go with a nice RPM intake or a Systemax...something along those lines.

For a power adder combo if you are going to use a stock block at least have a girdle installed (This will help it last but not totally prevent block failure).
I would run the AFR heads (Minimum 185's) Anderson B-41 cam (In my car that has ran in the 9's), and Holley systemax intake. The best bet would be to call a reputable shop and tell them what you are wanting out of the combo and see what they recommend. Let us know what you decide.