• turkey sammich

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ponypowa2

May 17, 2004
Destin, FL
Which would you choose and why?

also any opinions on the subject would be great.

I think overall a 408 build is cheaper then a 331 turbo combo somone correct me if im wrong..

Please keep the opinions street/autocross based, im not to concerned with drag racing

How much heavier would the windsor be?

• Sponsors (?)

I vote 408. Cheaper than a turbo 331, easier to tune, stronger block, unless you're talking aftermarket for either one? Sure, you may need a new hood, but the Cobra R hood is sexy anyway.

Lets stop saying stronger cause a factory 351w block (69-71 or whatever years) isnt stronger than a Dart block which is in the poll for the 331.....

I'd be worried about front end weight with that big windsor for autocrossing....although i dont know much about the sport anyway. Turbo's are good once they're together and running, but thats a lot of crap to have to take off to fix it. But then again, it'd be a smaller advantage in weight cause of all the turbo stuff up front.

I think a 408 would be funner on the street....cheaper to build...easier to maintain...less crap to worry about....easier to fix....

I'd vote 408.

i decided to go 408 because i wanted a reliable mill with boatloads of torque all across the rpm range. i want to be able to just jump in the car and drive it anywhere without having to worry about anything. i am of the opinion that my goal is much easier to accomplish with a naturally aspirated motor than it is with a forced induction motor.

"I'd be worried about front end weight with that big windsor for autocrossing...."

50# so that's not an issue. The turbos and tubing and intercooler..same for same.

I can't believe how well my car handles wth that new swaybar 1 3/8"..so I would recommend one of those whichever eng.

If you go turbo 331, you'd better get a dart like nmcgrawj was saying. older 351 blocks are getting harder to find though..but the newer ones are very strong as well.

In my ideal set-up, a 408 would not make even close to enough power (typically). But a dart 331 with a turbo, now we're talking.

The 331 turbo would be quite a bit more money, but way more power, so I guess it depends on you.

As for weight, why is everyone saying the 408 set-up would be heavier? It is quite the opposite in my opinion.

As for weight, why is everyone saying the 408 set-up would be heavier? It is quite the opposite in my opinion.

well a 351w motor is heavier than a 331, mainly from the block. I have never measured or saw actual numbers, so when u get into aftermarket the margin might not be nearly as big as some think. But the turbo stuff makes it even anyway....if not making the 331 more heavy :shrug:

I have understood the 351 block to weigh around 30+ lbs more. I do not recall if that is block weight or block with internals.

Either way, the 331 will probably be quite a bit more expensive with the turbo installed. It would be faster though with the right amount of boost.

An N/A combo is less forgiving, and you could still rack out 450 rwhp out of it fairly easily. The turbo adds weight as well, which may negate the difference between the two possible combos more.

On the contrary, a 351 intake is going to weigh more as well...:shrug:

Whoever said the 408 would be more fun on the street has obviously never been in a fast turbo car. The sound alone is worth hours of fun. Overall though the fact is it comes down to the plans of the car. The 408 won't be anywhere near as fast so its kind of comparing apples to oranges considering the 408 will probably make around 450 rwhp and a 331 with a t70 with reasonable boost will make 600 rwhp. Just ask Eades. I believe his car is a 331 and I know he has a t70.

Its all about the application :)

There is W A Y more to building a successful combo than just being able
to say this or that combo makes such and such rwhp ;)

You can have a motor that makes mega hp
and
If the drive line and chassis are not setup to take it

Well ... :bang: :bang: :bang:

Grady

Whoever said the 408 would be more fun on the street has obviously never been in a fast turbo car. The sound alone is worth hours of fun. Overall though the fact is it comes down to the plans of the car. The 408 won't be anywhere near as fast so its kind of comparing apples to oranges considering the 408 will probably make around 450 rwhp and a 331 with a t70 with reasonable boost will make 600 rwhp. Just ask Eades. I believe his car is a 331 and I know he has a t70.

600 rwhp?? Thats weak as hell. Why have a 331 then?? I was talking about an aftermarket block (which is heavier in most cases). So I think you meant to say 800-1000 rwhp. Sounds more fun than a NA 408 to me.

question: i know these were not mentioned as options, but:

why not put a turbo on a 351-based mill? don't the aftermarket 302 and 351 blocks and forged rotating assemblies cost fairly close to each other?

another popular option is to go 408 and then spray it for that extra kick when you need it ...

also, there is a certain logic to jr's approach. he has a stock bottom end ... then if (or more like when!) he blows up his motor, he just gets another 302 for a couple hundred and bolts his stuff onto that and he is back on the road again.

starting with a 351 block is like starting with an extra 50 cubes for free (compared to a stock 302). if you stroke 302 to 331, then a similarly stroked 351 would be 393 cubes. how can you go wrong with that?

if it were me, i'd start with the most cubes i could start with and then strap my power adder of choice to that. if i had the money for an aftermarket block and wanted a power adder, i'd want to go with a turbo'd 351. that probably would end up in the same ballpark as a turbo'd 331. but either way, i'd start with a 351 and go from there.