331ci AFR185's x303 now what intake?

xSLOW5.0Hx

Aug 30, 2006
:flag: :flag: Hey guys I'm in a bit of a bind here. So to start off I have been putting together a 331 stroker for my '86GT. I have Got my heads (AFR 185cc) with 1.6 shaft mount RR, and an X303..... I know some of you are gonna give me flack about the cam, but I justify the cam purchase as something I can always change later if I desire a little more power. Believe it or not I'm not trying to squeeze every oz out of this engine. I would like it to last for a little while.
Anyway so I do have a GT-40 intake that I bought used on ebay (mistake):nono: , but I did buy it in a kit with a bunch of other useful things 75mmMAF meter, fuel rails, 30lb injector...ect... I now don't think I'm going to use the GT-40 because it's in rough shape, and needs some Aluminum welding ( looks like the guy used a screw driver to seperate the upper and lower:nonono: ) high quality I know, and the fact that it doesn't match what I'm doing now. (orignally planned on a 306ci. with x305 heads) Well, those plans changed, so I think I'll keep that for another project. I just don't know now what intake to buy. People told me to get the Edelbrock, and other say get a TrickFlow.......The car is going to be a street car (not a daily driver), but I do plan on road racing ever now and then on the weekends. I need something that's going to be a good match with the heads and cam. I'm just looking for some of your opnions; because I do value them. I pretty much have been researching my information on this motor souly from the forums here. Seems like there's guys here that know their $h*t, so thank you for reading my novel, and let me know what you guys think.:flag: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Since the x-303 is more of an upper RPM range camshaft, you could run the victor jr intake. I personally think I'd use either the trick flow track heat or the street heat. On second thought, the Performer RPM might give you a little more mid range power. Basically, it depends on where you want your power to be.

Easy. Edelbrock Performer RPM2. Still lots of torque and streetable yet plenty of good breathing for that x303 and the stroker engine. I would buy that intake and not even think twice about it.

I agree about the RPM II, it is a good intake for your combo in my opinion.

However, the RPM II does not mate up to well with the 185's. It will usually require some milling. From some reading I have seen .1-.125 inches out of line on some of them.

The systemax matches up slightly better I believe and gives you virtually the same flow characteristics.

Oh and nothing wrong with your cam, of course it might could be better, but on all of our engines there is something we could improve, so just join the crowd like the rest of us:nice:

Welcome to Stangnet, great place to hang around!

Thanks for the input I'll have to see the intakes to make my choice. If the RPMII requires milling that's not really a big deal to me ( I work at an aerospace machine shop), but I would still like to see how it lines up with them heads first. I'll go for RPMII as my first choice because I looked at the powerband it advertises (1500-7000) that what I would want, even though with the cam it's more like 1500-6200rpm, or so I've read. That will more than cover what kind of power I would want.

And yes I know that even know what I do to my car is still not ever going to be finished. I just hope going from stock w/ bolt-ons to a 331 w/ Aluminum heads is going to hold me over in the power dept. for awhile. :nice: